CPCB labels JLR chief's statement on JLR car emissions being cleaner than Delhi air as "not healthy"
Ralf Speth, the chief of Jaguar Land Rover had recently commented on the Supreme Court's decision to ban the sale of all diesel vehicles with engines above 2000cc in Delhi-NCR region. He said, "The latest EU VI regulation schemes have got technical features, which (can) clean the air in Delhi. These kind of vehicles drive like a hoover. The air they suck in is far dirtier than the air which comes out of it."
"I am an engineer. It (the order) has nothing to with market and nothing to do with anything. . . From a technological point of view this kind of decision is unreasonable," he further added.
Speth's statement did not go down well with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). Responding to his comment, Arun Kumar Mehta, chairman of CPCB, said "This kind of a statement is not healthy and completely unwarranted."
The comment from JLR's chief also drew flak from the Union Environment minister Prakash Javadekar who said, "Car makers are making some crazy statements. I never thought of a car not emitting carbon emission as a cleaning machine. I never thought about it. If somebody is going crazy, I can't help it," he said.
Javadekar did agree that there are technologies which could help in solving the problem of pollution but the real answer lies with improving the quality of fuel in India. He said that the Government's decision to leapfrog to BSVI emission norms for vehicles by 2020 is a real game changer and the permanent solution.
The Supreme Court of India has banned the sale of all passenger vehicles with engines above 2000cc in Delhi-NCR region till March 31, 2016. Along with a few other luxury carmakers, JLR's sales have also been hit hard by the ban.
Starts Rs 46.45 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- News2019 Honda CBR650R will be sold through Honda's 22 Wing World dealerships in India
- NewsHonda CBR650R bookings open in India, to be priced under Rs 8 lakh
- News2020 Range Rover Evoque spied in India
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: 2020 Ssangyong Korando SUV revealed
- NewsMG Motor to launch eZS electric SUV in India by end-2019
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani