Daimler to launch six to nine electric car models
Daimler AG, which owns Mercedes-Benz, is expected to launch a minimum of six electric cars under the latter's brand name. According to a Reuters report, the number of electric models could go up to nine. Daimler is planning to launch more electric vehicles in order to push the fight back to Tesla, Volkswagen AG and Audi AG.
Mercedes-Benz is expected to unveil a new electric car at the 2016 Paris Motor Show which is scheduled for next month. In July, the carmaker had said that it had begun developing premium electric cars at a faster pace. Automobilwoche, a German magazine, had earlier reported that Daimler was planning to introduce more than six electric car models between 2018 and 2024.
Image used for representative purpose
According to the Reuters report, Mercedes-Benz will also offer an SUV model with a plug-in hybrid engine powered by fuel cells that will have a range of around 50km. Of late, carmakers and component manufacturers in Germany have begun to invest aggressively in electric cars. Previously, not many traditional carmakers were keen on developing electric cars as customers weren't too keen about them owing to the limited range and high price. However, the fallout of the emissions scandal and the recent advancements in battery technology, which has increased vehicle range by up to 50 per cent, have got carmakers interested.
In July this year, Volkswagen AG had announced that it was planning to expand its electric vehicle model line-up. It had been reported that the company, as a part of new 'Together-Strategy 2025', was planning to launch 30 new electric vehicles by 2025. Rupert Stadler, the chief executive of Audi AG, had previously told German daily Handelsblatt that the company would launch an all-electric vehicle in 2018.
Starts Rs 51.73 Lakhs
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- News2018 Kawasaki Z900RS launched in India at Rs 15.3 lakh
- NewsBMW Motorrad cuts motorcycle prices by 10 per cent in India
- Review2018 Ferrari Portofino first drive review
- News2018 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X and Thunderbird 350X to be launched in India on February 28, 2018
- NewsKia installs framework of its new manufacturing plant in Andhra Pradesh
- NewsMotoGP: Tech3 and Yamaha to part ways after 2018 season
- Review2018 Yamaha MT-09 first ride review
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices of all models
- NewsDucati launches extended warranty program in India
- News2018 F1: All the Formula 1 cars for the upcoming season launched so far