Dakar 2016: Sebastien Loeb crashes 20km before Stage 8 finish
Nasser Al-Attiyah won the eighth stage of the 2016 edition of the Dakar rally with a timing of 3hr 14min 22sec. This marks Mini's first stage victory of the 2016 edition. Peugeot's Carlos Sainz with a time of 3hr 14min 37sec secured 2nd place in the stage. Stephane Peterhansel, meanwhile, finished third for Peugeot.
Dakar debutant and nine-time WRC champion Sebastien Loeb completed the eighth stage in 33rd place as he rolled his Peugeot only 30km before the finish line. Thankfully both Loeb and co-driver Daniel Elena walked away from the crash without any injury.
The French driver was quoted saying "It's finished for overall victory. There was a dip and I didn't see it, so we arrived on it, fell in and it threw the car off balance and we rolled. It's a bit frustrating, but that's life, so we have to continue now."
In the motorcycle category, Toby Price astride the KTM won Stage 8 with a time of 3h 31min 28sec. Paulo Goncalves completed the stage in second place. However, he suffered a crash which not only damaged his Honda's navigation instruments but also cost him the overall stage lead. Goncalves is now placed second overall while Price has taken the lead. Pablo Quintanilla finished Stage 8 in third place.
In the Quad category, Marcus Patronelli occupied first place with a time of 4hr 25min 21sec. His brother Alejandro was placed second while Brian Baragwanath secured third position.
- NewsDaimler India will launch 50 products in domestic as well as international markets
- NewsSwapping stakes in KTM for a reasonable share in Pierer Industries on cards for Bajaj
- News2019 Hero Xpulse 200 spotted uncamouflaged ahead of its official launch
- FeaturesRacedecade: Celebrating 10 years of racing for VW Motorsport India
- NewsAvan Trend E electric scooter launched in India at Rs 56,900