Dakar 2017: Stephane Peterhansel wins 13th title
Stephane Peterhansel has taken his 13th Dakar title, winning the event for a seventh time in a car. The other six times that he won the rally, he did astride a motorcycle
The 2017 Dakar Rally has come to a close. Winning the Dakar for the 13th time is Stephane Peterhansel. The Frenchman has won the Dakar six times on a motorcycle, and has now claimed his seventh win in cars. This time, Peterhansel competed in a 3008 DKR Peugeot, winning the overall event ahead of Sebastien Loeb.
It was, however, Loeb who won the last stage of the event, however he could do nothing to stop his more experienced team-mate. Loeb ended the event just over 5min adrift of Peterhansel. Making it an all-Peugeot podium was Cyril Despres who took third place.
Sam Sunderland has become the first British rider to win the Dakar rally
On two wheels, it was KTM Racing's Sam Sunderland who won the rally. Sunderland, based in Dubai, took the win from Matthias Walkner, also astride a KTM. Third place went to another KTM rider, Gerard Farres Guell. Sunderland won the Dakar in his third ever attempt at the event, having earlier taken part in 2012 and 2014, retiring on both occasions.
Eduard Nikolaev took his second win in the truck category, driving a Kamaz yet again
Winning the Truck category of the Dakar was Eduard Nikolaev. The Russian driver, co-driven by Evgeny Yakovlev and with Vladimir Rybakov as mechanic, has managed his second win the truck category. The last time that Nikolaev won the Dakar was back in 2013.
Victory in the Quad category went to Sergey Karyakin, ahead of Ignacio Casale and Pablo Copetti. The UTV class of the event was won by Leandro Torres.
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh
- News2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk SUV bookings open across India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Desert Storm: A look back
- News2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ petrol with 5-speed manual option launched in India for Rs 10.47 lakh
- News2018 Yamaha Ray-ZR launched with four new colours in India at Rs 53,451
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 reach Australia for display, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift to be launched in April
- News2018 Honda CB Shine SP, Livo, and Dream Yuga commuter motorcycles launched in India
- News2018 Honda CBR250R launched in India at Rs 1.63 lakh