Dakar 2017: Stephane Peterhansel wins 13th title
Stephane Peterhansel has taken his 13th Dakar title, winning the event for a seventh time in a car. The other six times that he won the rally, he did astride a motorcycle
The 2017 Dakar Rally has come to a close. Winning the Dakar for the 13th time is Stephane Peterhansel. The Frenchman has won the Dakar six times on a motorcycle, and has now claimed his seventh win in cars. This time, Peterhansel competed in a 3008 DKR Peugeot, winning the overall event ahead of Sebastien Loeb.
It was, however, Loeb who won the last stage of the event, however he could do nothing to stop his more experienced team-mate. Loeb ended the event just over 5min adrift of Peterhansel. Making it an all-Peugeot podium was Cyril Despres who took third place.
Sam Sunderland has become the first British rider to win the Dakar rally
On two wheels, it was KTM Racing's Sam Sunderland who won the rally. Sunderland, based in Dubai, took the win from Matthias Walkner, also astride a KTM. Third place went to another KTM rider, Gerard Farres Guell. Sunderland won the Dakar in his third ever attempt at the event, having earlier taken part in 2012 and 2014, retiring on both occasions.
Eduard Nikolaev took his second win in the truck category, driving a Kamaz yet again
Winning the Truck category of the Dakar was Eduard Nikolaev. The Russian driver, co-driven by Evgeny Yakovlev and with Vladimir Rybakov as mechanic, has managed his second win the truck category. The last time that Nikolaev won the Dakar was back in 2013.
Victory in the Quad category went to Sergey Karyakin, ahead of Ignacio Casale and Pablo Copetti. The UTV class of the event was won by Leandro Torres.
- News2018 Blancpain GT Series Asia: Aditya Patel and OD Racing finish in the points at Fuji Speedway
- News2018 Baja Aragon: Sherco TVS factory rally team's Michael Metge wins 35th edition of event
- NewsFCA appoints Mike Manley as the new CEO
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT to be launched in India in early September
- NewsConfirmed: Bajaj Auto to introduce Husqvarna Vitpilen 401 and Svartpilen 401 motorcycles in India next year
- NewsNew Hyundai Santro/Atos spotted testing again before launch
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Jeet Jhabakh and Dhruv Mohite end Round 2 on a high note
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Saurav Bandyopadhyay wins opening race of Round 2 at MMRT
- NewsSpec comparison: BMW G 310 GS vs Royal Enfield Himalayan FI vs Kawasaki Versys-X 300
- News2019 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS launched in India at Rs 2.98 lakh