Dakar 2017: TVS Sherco Racing Team's Juan Pedrero Garcia leads motorcycle category at the end of Stage 1
The TVS Sherco Racing Team had the perfect start to their 2017 Dakar campaign as Juan Pedrero Garcia emerged as the fastest rider at end of Stage 1 on the first day. The stage win and overall lead, however, was handed to Juan by Team Yamaha rider Xavier De Soultrait.
Despite posting the fastest stage time, Soultrait decided to overspeed during the return leg to get a one-minute penalty, which dropped him to 10th overall. He did that for a strategic purpose, as he won't have to lead the field out on Stage 2, the first of the many gruelling stages in the rally.
This promoted Garcia to P1, who finished the 39km competitive section of the 454km in 28min and 22sec. Ricky Brabec riding for Team Honda finished second with a 12-second gap to Garcia followed by his team-mate Paulo Goncalves who finished 26 seconds behind the leader.
Garcia's teammate Adrian Metge was classified 22nd overall while Indian rider Aravind KP was classified 70th. It may not be the dream run he'd hoped for; however, there are plenty of stages to go and thousands of kilometres to cover.
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsRoyal Enfield Classic 500 Pegasus edition unveiled, limited to 1000 units worldwide
- FeaturesOn test at OVERDRIVE: Baja Designs XL80 auxiliary lights
- News2018 Hyundai Elite i20 automatic reaches dealerships, priced at Rs 7.04 lakh
- NewsNASCAR Whelen Euro Series 2018: Advait Deodhar leads Elite Club division with podium finish in Italy
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- FeaturesAdvertorial: Balajee Bobba - Adventurer with an Eye on Safety #WhatDrivesYou
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)