Dakar 2017: TVS Sherco Racing Team's Juan Pedrero Garcia leads motorcycle category at the end of Stage 1
The TVS Sherco Racing Team had the perfect start to their 2017 Dakar campaign as Juan Pedrero Garcia emerged as the fastest rider at end of Stage 1 on the first day. The stage win and overall lead, however, was handed to Juan by Team Yamaha rider Xavier De Soultrait.
Despite posting the fastest stage time, Soultrait decided to overspeed during the return leg to get a one-minute penalty, which dropped him to 10th overall. He did that for a strategic purpose, as he won't have to lead the field out on Stage 2, the first of the many gruelling stages in the rally.
This promoted Garcia to P1, who finished the 39km competitive section of the 454km in 28min and 22sec. Ricky Brabec riding for Team Honda finished second with a 12-second gap to Garcia followed by his team-mate Paulo Goncalves who finished 26 seconds behind the leader.
Garcia's teammate Adrian Metge was classified 22nd overall while Indian rider Aravind KP was classified 70th. It may not be the dream run he'd hoped for; however, there are plenty of stages to go and thousands of kilometres to cover.
- NewsAtacama Rally 2018: Hero MotoSports' Oriol Mena finishes Stage 2 in 10th place, Joaquim Rodrigues 15th
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: CS Santosh to lead charge for Hero Motosport Team Rally
- NewsIsuzu India announces cricketer Jonty Rhodes as new brand ambassador for D-Max V-Cross
- NewsHonda Navi crosses one lakh sales mark
- NewsMaruti Suzuki increases prices of all its models in India
- Review2018 Suzuki Burgman Street road test review
- NewsYamaha YZF-R15 Moto GP limited edition and new colour options for Yamaha FZS-Fi launched at Rs 1.3 lakh and Rs 87,042
- NewsNext-gen Hyundai Santro design sketch unveiled, to launch in October 2018
- NewsSportier Toyota Yaris TRD Sportivo shown at GIIAS 2018
- News2018 Bajaj Pulsar NS160 with rear disc brake priced at Rs 82,630