Dakar 2018: Hero MotoSports rider Oriol Mena ranked 10th overall after Stage 11
The eleventh stage of the 2018 Dakar was the first half of the second marathon stage, with riders having to take on 205km of liaison distance and 280km of a special stage, before camping in the Fiambala Mountains. The stage comprised lots of loose sand and soil, which made the going tricky for the riders.
As is becoming something of a trend, Oriol Mena continued with his terrific form, finishing Stage 11 in ninth position. This has ensured that he is currently ranked 10th overall in the Moto category.
Oriol Mena on Stage 11 of the 2018 Dakar
Mena's team-mate CS Santosh who had a tough stage 10, rode steadily to gain as much ground as he could over the last few stages. He reached the Fiambala bivouac 33rd, which promoted him to 35th in the overall standings.
CS Santosh on Stage 11 at the 2018 Dakar
Speaking after the eleventh stage Oriol Mena said, "Today was another important first leg of the Super Fiambala Marathon stage. The starting order for today was mixed with trucks and cars so it was really confusing in the beginning. The navigation as well was quite tough and the soft sand made it quite physically exhausting, making the stage look longer than it was. But everything went very well, the bike was working great. I am happy to make it to the bivouac and to have another good finish today."
Meanwhile, CS Santosh said, "Today I was still very tired still from yesterday so my mission was to make it to the marathon bivouac today. I am happy to be here as I got another tough day in the bag today. Now I just need to get some rest and renew my energy and focus for the second leg of the marathon stage tomorrow."
The 12th Stage of the rally has been cancelled for bikes and quads, with the organisers citing safety issues as the reason for the same.
Provisional Stage 11 Classifications
1. Toby Price, RedBull KTM Racing, KTM, 04h 01m 33s
2. Kevin Benavides, Honda Factory Racing, Honda, +01m 38s
3. Antoine Meo, RedBull KTM Racing, KTM, +06m 31s
9. Oriol Mena, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +27m 00s
33. C.S. Santosh, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +01h 25m 08s
Overall Provisional Classifications after Stage 11
1. Matthias Walkner, RedBull KTM Racing, KTM, 36h 33m 37s
2. Kevin Benavides, Honda Factory Racing, Honda, +32m 00s
3. Toby Price, RedBull KTM Racing, KTM, +39m 17s
10. Oriol Mena, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +02h 13m 07s
35. C.S. Santosh, Hero MotoSports Team Rally, Hero MotoSports, +10h 20m 09s
- NewsMahindra TUV300 facelift in the works, launch next year
- NewsTata Harrier SUV pre-bookings open at Rs 30,000 across India
- NewsImage gallery: India-bound 2019 Yamaha YZF-R3
- NewsDucati Multistrada 1260 Enduro breaks cover
- News2019 Kawasaki Z900 launched in India at Rs 7.68 lakh, same price as earlier
- NewsEXCLUSIVE: KTM India set to launch 125 Duke in India next month?
- NewsDucati now offering free GoPro action camera on purchase of Multistrada 950 and Scrambler 800
- FeaturesHow the Volkswagen I.D. R Pikes Peak claimed the electric car record at Goodwood
- NewsRenault Captur offered with benefits of upto Rs 81,000 in India
- NewsJK NRC 2018: Surya Varathan crowned Novice Cup Champion