EICMA 2017: KTM 790 Duke 2018 unveiled
After treating us to the prototype at the EICMA last year, KTM has finally taken the wraps off the new 790 Duke at EICMA 2017. The motorcycle features a brand new, 799cc, liquid-cooled parallel-twin motor that develops 105PS at 9,000 rpm and 86Nm at 8,000rpm. Called the LC8c, this is KTM's first parallel-twin motor and has a DOHC head with eight valves, actuated by DLC-coated finger followers. To help keep the vibrations at the minimum, KTM has employed two balancer shafts. The engine is mated to a six-speed transmission.
True to the Duke family ethos, the 790 Duke features radical styling, with minimal body panels. It, however, does not look as edgy as the prototype, but it's close. The 790 Duke employs a steel frame, with the engine as the stressed member, in order to save weight, which stands at 169Kg.
KTM has used WP's suspension at the front and rear. The 43mm, split-function USD forks are adjustable while and the gas charged monoshock at the rear is adjustable for pre-load. Braking duties are handled by twin, 300mm discs at the front with four piston, radially mounted calipers and a 240mm single-disc at the rear, with a two-pot caliper.
The KTM 790 Duke is also pretty well equipped with a suite of electronics. In addition to standard Bosch ABS, the motorcycle also gets cornering ABS. The ABS can be turned off on the rear wheel to engage in some supermoto style riding. Then there's the lean sensitive traction control and riding modes with a special Track mode that is customizable. Other features include a quick-shifter, launch control, full-colour TFT dash and WP steering damper. The KTM My Ride system is available as an optional extra.
Starts Rs 15,30,000
Starts Rs 10,55,000
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- FeaturesProduct review: Ixon RS Moto HP gloves
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV
- Review2018 Ford EcoSport S first drive review
- NewsTata Motors' shipments of Indian Army's Safari Storme 4X4 spotted
- NewsTesla releases some of its Model S autonomous driving software to coders
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Classic 500 Pegasus edition
- NewsSpec comparison: Hyundai Creta vs Honda BR-V vs Nissan Terrano vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Renault Captur
- NewsHero Electric planning new EV models to increase sales
- News2019 Kia Sportage facelift spotted undisguised at the Nurburgring
- NewsMercedes-AMG launches the GLE 43 4MATIC Coupe OrangeArt and SLC 43 RedArt limited edition cars in India