EICMA 2017: KTM 790 Duke 2018 unveiled
After treating us to the prototype at the EICMA last year, KTM has finally taken the wraps off the new 790 Duke at EICMA 2017. The motorcycle features a brand new, 799cc, liquid-cooled parallel-twin motor that develops 105PS at 9,000 rpm and 86Nm at 8,000rpm. Called the LC8c, this is KTM's first parallel-twin motor and has a DOHC head with eight valves, actuated by DLC-coated finger followers. To help keep the vibrations at the minimum, KTM has employed two balancer shafts. The engine is mated to a six-speed transmission.
True to the Duke family ethos, the 790 Duke features radical styling, with minimal body panels. It, however, does not look as edgy as the prototype, but it's close. The 790 Duke employs a steel frame, with the engine as the stressed member, in order to save weight, which stands at 169Kg.
KTM has used WP's suspension at the front and rear. The 43mm, split-function USD forks are adjustable while and the gas charged monoshock at the rear is adjustable for pre-load. Braking duties are handled by twin, 300mm discs at the front with four piston, radially mounted calipers and a 240mm single-disc at the rear, with a two-pot caliper.
The KTM 790 Duke is also pretty well equipped with a suite of electronics. In addition to standard Bosch ABS, the motorcycle also gets cornering ABS. The ABS can be turned off on the rear wheel to engage in some supermoto style riding. Then there's the lean sensitive traction control and riding modes with a special Track mode that is customizable. Other features include a quick-shifter, launch control, full-colour TFT dash and WP steering damper. The KTM My Ride system is available as an optional extra.
Starts Rs 7,68,000
Starts Rs 11,13,000
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsWRC 2019: Ott Tanak wins Rally Sweden
- NewsSpec Comparo: Benelli TRK 502X vs Kawasaki Versys X 300 vs SWM SuperDual T
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani