EICMA 2017: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin and Continental GT 650 Twin showcased
Royal Enfield has just taken the wraps off the new Interceptor 650 Twin and the Continental GT 650 at the EICMA 2017. Easily the most eagerly anticipated motorcycle of the year, the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 is a mix of neo-retro styling, married to an all new 650cc, parallel twin motor that was showcased recently. Engine character was a primary focus while developing engine, says Royal Enfield.
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin
The fuel injected, air/ oil cooled motor produces 47PS at 7,100rpm and 52 Nm at 4,000rpm and is mated to a six-speed gearbox. The motorcycles also gets a slip and assist clutch.
The Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin draws inspiration from the yesteryears Royal Enfield Interceptor and it looks in line with the modern classics that we see these days. The Continental GT 650 Twin, on the other hand is an ode to the Café racer culture that was dominant a few years ago. Royal Enfield has stated that there are no shared parts between the new Continental GT 650 and the current Continental GT with the 535cc, single cylinder engine.
2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT
Both motorcycles employ a double cradle, steel tubular frame as well as 41mm front forks and twin, coil over shocks at the rear. The wheelbase, at 1400mm, ground clearance, at 174mm and length, at 2122mm is also identical. The Continental GT 650 Twin, however, is slightly shorter than the Interceptor 650 Twin.
Braking duties, on both motorcycles, are handled by a 320mm disc at the front and a 240mm disc at the rear. ABS is standard on both motorcycles.
We spoke to Siddharth Lal, the CEO of Royal Enfield and MD Eicher Motors recently and he has stated that the Interceptor 650 Twin and Continental 650 GT Twin will go on sale in India post April 2018. The company aims to ensure that they have the production capacity in place to service the high demand that the Indian market is expected to generate.
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Porsche Cayenne launch in India
- NewsBMW X7 SUV teased before debut later this month at LA
- NewsProduction-spec Tata Harrier SUV side profile revealed
- NewsRefreshed Isuzu MU-X SUV launched in India at Rs 26.26 lakh
- NewsLive updates: 2019 Isuzu MU-X SUV launch in India
- NewsDucati concludes first edition of DRE Track Days in India
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ertiga to be launched in India on November 21
- FeaturesWhy the Historic Monaco Grand Prix should be on your bucket list
- NewsMG Motor to launch all-electric SUV in India by 2020
- News2018 Raid de Himalaya: Arindam Saikia of Team Polaris crowned overall winner