Exclusive: Ford MPV coming in 2016
Ford has been building up healthy numbers in the recent times thanks to the success of the Figo hatchback and its compact crossover, the EcoSport. But apart from these two cars, the American carmaker doesn't have a strong portfolio to contend with the rest of the competition, specifically in the two segments that has seen a lot of activity lately MPVs and compact sedans. Though the Fiesta Classic tries its level best to cater to the latter, Ford understands the need for a contemporary sub-4m sedan. The Figo concept that was showcased during the 2014 Auto Expo addressed the need and will see the light of day by 2015.
Ford Ka Concept 4 Door is longer and better looking version of the Figo
Interestingly, within hours of unveiling the Figo concept in New Delhi, Ford showed a longer version of the same in Brazil. Christened as the 'Ka Concept 4-door', the longer version sits on a larger wheelbase and wears a top hat that looks similar to the Figo concept, albeit with sharper and bigger taillights. Though it looks proportionately better than the concept shown to us, it doesn't fall in line with the harebrained taxation structure in India.
But that said, the longer wheelbase of the Ka Concept will underpin a new MPV that is targeted for the emerging markets. It will lie in the same bracket as the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and the Chevrolet Enjoy. Expect the MPV to be a stylish offering and not a boring people carrier. The engine line-up from the Fiesta will make its way into the MPV as well, but we also expect to see the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine from the EcoSport to be one of the options.
The compact sedan based on the Ford Figo concept is expected to launch in India by 2015 and the MPV should follow by 2016. By then however, Ford will have lost out on first-mover advantage and will also have to contend with the likes of the Honda Mobilio and the Hyundai compact MPV.
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.82 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.18 Lakhs
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race
- NewsMahindra becomes first Indian carmaker to drive to Everest base camp
- NewsIndia-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks unveiled In Mumbai
- NewsMahindra and Ford to collaborate on shared powertrains, connected car tech
- NewsLive updates: Reveal of India-spec 2019 Nissan Kicks
- Review2019 Ducati Multistrada 1260 Enduro first ride review
- NewsConfirmed: KTM says 790 Duke launch in India not slated for November