Exclusive: Ford MPV coming in 2016
Ford has been building up healthy numbers in the recent times thanks to the success of the Figo hatchback and its compact crossover, the EcoSport. But apart from these two cars, the American carmaker doesn't have a strong portfolio to contend with the rest of the competition, specifically in the two segments that has seen a lot of activity lately MPVs and compact sedans. Though the Fiesta Classic tries its level best to cater to the latter, Ford understands the need for a contemporary sub-4m sedan. The Figo concept that was showcased during the 2014 Auto Expo addressed the need and will see the light of day by 2015.
Ford Ka Concept 4 Door is longer and better looking version of the Figo
Interestingly, within hours of unveiling the Figo concept in New Delhi, Ford showed a longer version of the same in Brazil. Christened as the 'Ka Concept 4-door', the longer version sits on a larger wheelbase and wears a top hat that looks similar to the Figo concept, albeit with sharper and bigger taillights. Though it looks proportionately better than the concept shown to us, it doesn't fall in line with the harebrained taxation structure in India.
But that said, the longer wheelbase of the Ka Concept will underpin a new MPV that is targeted for the emerging markets. It will lie in the same bracket as the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga and the Chevrolet Enjoy. Expect the MPV to be a stylish offering and not a boring people carrier. The engine line-up from the Fiesta will make its way into the MPV as well, but we also expect to see the 1.0-litre EcoBoost engine from the EcoSport to be one of the options.
The compact sedan based on the Ford Figo concept is expected to launch in India by 2015 and the MPV should follow by 2016. By then however, Ford will have lost out on first-mover advantage and will also have to contend with the likes of the Honda Mobilio and the Hyundai compact MPV.
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.82 Lakhs
Starts Rs 6.18 Lakhs
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750 launch in India tomorrow
- NewsMercedes-Benz A-Class sedan image leaked ahead of Beijing debut
- NewsAuto China 2018: All-new Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept teaser out
- NewsSIAM and Ministry of Road Transport and Highways kick-off road safety week
- NewsImage Gallery: Volkswagen I. D. R Pikes Peak hill climb prototype racer revealed
- NewsUniform road tax across states soon, plans the central government
- NewsBMW 8 Series spotted testing in convertible form
- News2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 being offered at Rs 20,000 discount by dealership
- NewsHonda Monkey 125 confirmed for production
- NewsSpec comparo: Kawasaki Vulcan 650 S vs Harley-Davidson Street Rod