Exclusive: KTM RC to launch in India by mid-2014
KTM RC series will be launched globally by mid-2014. Its launch in India will also follow around the same time. First RC200 and almost immediately after the RC390.
Bajaj is also working on the third product which is the off-road platform. But Stefan Pierer said that it's actually going to be the same engine but on a new platform with new geometry therefore it's almost like a new motorcycle and will take time. Maybe end next year. Further it's going to be two motorcycles, one a hardcore off-roader (spanning the 200 and the 390) as well as a larger tanked adventure tourer. View the image galleries of the RC 200 and RC 390.
Further Pierer said KTM is also looking at the KTM 690 Duke for India but while producing or assembling it here is not currently an option due to low expected volumes, importing it directly requires both homologation and high duties which raise the prospect of unviable sales.
Stefan Pierer, when asked about the space between the 390 and the big motorcycle, revealed that KTM has a 500cc and 800cc parallel twin nearly ready to go which are likely to go into production in the next three years or so. This platform is also jointly being worked on with Bajaj and is likely to be manufactured at Bajaj's plant in Chakan like the current Duke 200 and 390.
We had earlier broken the news of the KTM and Bajaj planning to bring the RC series to India and the news was confirmed by Stefan Pierer, who also said that two more bikes 500cc and 800cc are coming here.
He also added that KTM will bring Husqvarna to coming to India, but its bikes will be more like the BMW RNineT than the Duke, on whose platform it is based.
- News2020 Honda City RS turbo-petrol under consideration for India
- NewsYamaha to offer special finance scheme for frontline warriors of COVID19
- NewsBSVI petrol 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque launched in India, prices start from Rs 57.99 lakh
- NewsFour-wheeler launches that took place in India during COVID19
- News2020 MG ZS facelift revealed internationally
- Digitising Text
- Abstract | Winners and Honourable Mentions
- BP Tip of the Day: Getting Out of a Creative Block