F1 2016: Rosberg claims Italian GP win
Nico Rosberg celebrates his win at the 2016 Italian GP at Monza
The 2016 Italian Grand Prix at Monza saw a terrific drive from Mercedes AMG F1's Nico Rosberg. A drive that saw him through to the top step of the podium, and also saw him close the gap to championship leader Lewis Hamilton. The difference in points between the team-mates, as F1 heads to Singapore, is now down to just two.
The race was Hamilton's to throw away. Starting from pole, Lewis messed up his race when the five red lights went out, allowing Rosberg to move into the lead at the first corner. The defending world champion slipped down into sixth place, while the two Ferraris managed to move up the order, with Williams driver Valtteri Bottas and Red Bull Racing's Daniel Ricciardo ahead of him.
Hamilton, Rosberg and Vettel on the podium at the 2016 Italian GP at Monza
Hamilton did, however, begin making his way up the order soon, but it was a strategic call by Mercedes that helped him get the move on the Ferraris ahead of him. Hamilton, on a one-stop strategy, managed to get ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen.
Rosberg, meanwhile, was able to keep his lead at the head of the pack, and was never really threatened by his team-mate. This meant he took his first ever win at the Italian GP. Vettel made it to third on the podium, behind the Mercedes pair, which meant that there was something for the scarlet fever-ed Tifosi, the Ferrari fans, to cheer for after all.
Raikkonen finished fourth, Ricciardo fifth and Bottas sixth. Max Verstappen managed to finish seventh, while Force India's Sergio Perez finished eighth, ahead of his team-mate Nico Hulkenberg in 10th. Felipe Massa, in the Williams, split the Force India duo, slotting into ninth place.
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsMaharashtra government announces tax exemption for electric vehicles
- News2018 Toyota Yaris Cross hatchback details revealed
- NewsPorsche to invest $ 7.4 billion by 2022 towards electric vehicles
- NewsImage gallery: TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi Ethanol
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Thar Wanderlust SUV at the 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsImage gallery: Honda Sports EV concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: Tata Tigor and Tiago JTP showcased at 2018 Auto Expo
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: 2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6