F1 2016: Rosberg secures pole at the first European GP in Baku
Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg secured pole position at the first ever European GP at the Baku City Circuit in Azerbaijan. A blisteringly quick 1:42.758 lap time marks Rosberg's third pole position in the 2016 season. Force India's strong performance at the new city circuit was evident with Sergio Perez securing P2 with a lap time of 1:43.515.
Lewis Hamilton on the other hand had a hard time at qualifying today, getting blocked by Hulkenburg, plenty of near misses with the barriers. Hamilton eventually collided with one in Q3, forcing him to retire and settle with P10. The real 'on-the-edge-of-your-seat' moment however, was in the final moments of qualifying, when RBR's Daniel Ricciardo and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel set identical lap times of 1:43.966. Ricciardo will start the race at P3 in front of Vettel due to the Australian completing the lap first.
Meanwhile, both Mclarens couldn't keep up with the pack and settled with Alonso at P14 and Button at P19.
The European GP will commence tomorrow at 13:00 GMT.
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like
- NewsMcLaren commissions six special edition cars to celebrate racing heritage
- FeaturesOverview: Tata Harrier's OMEGA architecture
- NewsBookings open for the 2019 Nissan Kicks SUV
- NewsJawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two video: Exhaust note, top speed, design and features explained
- ReviewJawa Jawa first ride review
- NewsLive updates: Jawa Jawa and Jawa Forty-Two ridden in India
- News2019 Yamaha Saluto RX 110, Saluto 125 UBS launched in India at Rs 52,000