F1: Mick Schumacher to make Formula 1 debut at Bahrain young drivers test
Mick Schumacher, son of seven-time Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher, is set to make his Formula 1 debut at the young drivers test that will be held at the Bahrain International Circuit, soon after the 2019 Bahrain Grand Prix. While the official announcement is yet to be made, German motorsport website Auto Bild Motorsport has reported that Schumacher will participate in the test session with the Alfa Romeo team.
File photo of Mick Schumacher receiving the first-place trophy for a race win in the 2016 MRF Challenge from MRF Tyres managing director Arun Mammen
Schumacher, who will be in Bahrain for the season-opening F2 race, will take part in the tests for the Frederic Vasseur-run F1 outfit. Schumacher has been linked to the Alfa Romeo outfit for a long time. To begin with, he is part of the Ferrari Young Driver programme. Then there's the fact that the Alfa Romeo team is the Ferrari 'B' team, or satellite team, if you will. Also, in February this year, Vasseur stated that Schumacher was certainly in with a strong chance of earning a test session with the team at some point.
No further details are known in terms of whether or not Schumacher will share the cockpit of the Alfa Romeo C38 with another driver or not. However, given that he has won the 2018 FIA Formula 3 European Championship, he has the requisite points for an FIA Super Licence.
Last February, the then Ferrari team principal, Maurizio Arrivabene said, "the door of Maranello is always open" for Mick Schumacher.
- NewsHyundai Venue sub-compact-SUV could have a long waiting list
- NewsImage Gallery: Hyundai Venue launched in India - prices start at Rs 6.50 lakh
- Review2019 Range Rover Sport Si4 road test review
- News2019 Range Rover Sport 2-litre petrol available at a starting price of Rs 86.71 lakh
- NewsSpec Comparo: Hyundai Venue vs Ford Ecosport vs Tata Nexon vs Mahindra XUV300 vs Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza