2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S long term review: After 10,400km and eight months
It's been quite the month, no? I broke my leg in August, Feroci went into Ladakh all by herself. She returned with some damage and that needed fixing. And she was repaired while I headed... All that's done now, though. My leg's up and running (with me attached) and so is the Ducati. It was with great relief that I showed up at my brother-in-law's house in Gurgaon to collect Feroci for the ride home. It was a long break and I had a Multistrada-shaped hole in my life.
When I finally slipped back into the saddle, I realised two things. First, the Ducati rattles. Like an old auto rickshaw. I am surprised. Both the rattles are known issues, though. The first is the adjustment mechanism for the screen - you fill a gap with gasket sealant or superglue and things become quiet for a good 6-7,000km, and that's due again.
Fast rides always produce bug splats. Scraping them off once they've dried is sure to produce scratches.
The other comes from the pillion pegs which aren't spring-loaded. So they bounce against their stays and clack like granny's fake dentures over every bump. I'm very close to the point where I'll stick a piece of foam and zip-tie the blasted things into place for once and for all.
The Multistrada screen needs protecting too - it's very easy to scratch. I got a phone-style precut screen protector off eBay for about Rs 500.
But all of these niggles fall by the wayside when you start riding it. I did a rapid fire 1,500km run to Mumbai clocking 10,000km along the way and Feroci ran beautifully. Not a hair out of place, we completed a mind-blowing 1,200km day with so little effort and stress that I still am in awe.
Covering any parts that might get scraped by your luggage when out touring is a good practice.
Now, to wash all the dead bugs off the plastics, give the chain some love and put some more miles on, heh heh.
Fast highway 14kmpl
Starts Rs 18,91,170
- NewsMG Motor to launch first car in India earlier than planned, by second quarter of 2019
- NewsUpcoming 700km Mumbai-Nagpur expressway to reduce travel time by half
- NewsIndian Oil begins doorstep delivery of diesel in India
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh
- News2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk SUV bookings open across India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Desert Storm: A look back
- News2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ petrol with 5-speed manual option launched in India for Rs 10.47 lakh
- News2018 Yamaha Ray-ZR launched with four new colours in India at Rs 53,451
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 reach Australia for display, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced