2018 Hyundai Verna longterm review: Introduction
The Hyundai Verna probably got the most action packed entries into the longterm fleet at OVERDRIVE, than any other vehicle in the garage. Usually, we receive our vehicles at the office and more often than not, they subject to the daily grind of dealing with traffic to and from work. The Verna, however, was part of the fleet of Hyundai cars and SUVs on the Republic Drive to the Rann of Kutch and the eastern part of Gujarat. And boy did it impress us.
We've got the top spec variant with the 1.6 litre diesel engine and the first thing that struck me was the motor's stellar refinement. Hyundai seems to have nailed it with this engine, that not only revs quickly but also has has plenty of poke for quick highway runs. In fact, the motor feels relaxed at highway speeds which only elevates the driving experience. The other aspect that stood out is the stability of the car and well damped ride. On the Rann of Kutch, that's mostly an undulating surface, the Verna kept us comfortable. This was also the case when we encountered a few, pothole riddled patches, while driving in the Gujarat hinterland.
The Apple CarPlay feature is a boon on long trips
Ventilated seats are a welcome feature and work effectively in our hot summers
Despite all the hard driving, there were no rattles or squeaks in the cabin, an indication of a well built car. But, we'll return to the build quality aspect, as well as asses the Verna on a lot of other parameters in the coming months. After all, as the winner of the OVERDRIVE Car of the year and Indian Car of the Year awards, expectations from the Hyundai Verna are naturally, quite high.
Inducted in Feb 2018 | Inducted at 8,150km | Total mileage 10,675km | Fuel 180 litres | Economy 14kmpl
Starts Rs 7.8 Lakhs
Team OD | 17 May 2018
- NewsAutomobile events this week: May 21 - 27
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Hyundai Creta facelift launched in India
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez delivers masterclass at Le Mans
- NewsSpecial feature: 2018 Mercedes-Benz OVERDRIVE Winter Drive
- NewsHyundai Creta facelift launched in India at a starting price of Rs 9.44 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rally Portugal gives Thierry Neuville championship lead
- News2018 Lexus LX 570 flagship SUV launched in India at Rs 2.32 crore
- NewsNew Volvo S60 sedan will not have a diesel engine option
- NewsUpcoming Tata H5X SUV spotted testing again in new video
- NewsFormula E: Heidfeld scores points for Mahindra Racing at Berlin ePrix