2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 longterm review: Introduction
Yamaha India launched the first version of YZF-R15 about a decade ago, a true supersport that brought an interesting and involving flavour for a maturing market. I have fond memories of riding that motorcycle, so it goes without saying that I was very excited when I was handed the key to the R15 Version 3.0.
To me, the YZF-R6/R1 inspired design is what made the bike appeal to me, after all, as a photographer, good design always catches my eye. In fact, I'd go as far as labelling the new motorcycle as the most proportionate looking YZF-R15 to date and probably the best looking as well.
The brakes offer superb bite and feedback. But I did miss ABS in the rains
The Metzeler tyres instill a lot of confidence
After riding the super smooth Yamaha FZ25 as my daily commute to office, I was eager to see how the YZF-R15 would perform and initial impressions are very good. My route to office is a mix of open highways and traffic infested streets. On the open roads, the bike feels planted which goes a long way in boosting confidence. I also love the brakes that offer good bite. This along with the Metzeler rear on our test bike ensures that I have a big smile on my face, astride the R15. In fact, the R15 has become my happy place and I have some elaborate plans for the bike, during its tenure in the OD garage. But first, it's time to take the bike to the ghats on a weekend. Things are certainly looking good.
Acquired: Jul 2018
Inducted at: 1,195km
Total mileage: 2,112km
Fuel: 23 litres
Next update: The R15 heads for a blast up the ghats
Starts Rs 19,85,424
Starts Rs 1,19,335
- Review2018 BMW G 310 R road test review
- Review2019 Nissan Kicks first drive review
- News2019 Land Rover Discovery Sport launched in India at Rs 44.68 lakh, more powerful diesel option added
- NewsImage gallery: Koeniggsegg Regera KNC
- NewsHonda X-Blade launched with ABS at Rs 87,776
- NewsThis is the most outrageous Koenigsegg Regera hypercar yet
- News2019 BMW X4 coupe-SUV spotted testing in India, launch early next year
- NewsAutomobili Pininfarina's 1900PS hypercar will be called Battista
- NewsNissan Kicks SUV bookings to open on December 14
- NewsDiscounts of up to Rs 50,000 offered on BMW G 310 R and G 310 GS