Best driving roads: Ranital to Masroor Temple, Himachal Pradesh
India is infamous for its shabby roads, but at the same time there are many fantastic driving roads spread through the length and width of our beautiful country. OVERDRIVE has been fortunate enough to experience quite a few of these roads, and we want to share the joy with a weekly feature of a fantastic road that you should aspire to experience someday. This week, we take you from a small town called Ranital in the foothills of the Dhauladar Range in Himachal Pradesh, to the ancient rock-cut Masroor Temple.
The road to the Masroor temple is surrounded by beautiful fields
There isn't anything particularly interesting in Ranital itself, but it's a town you'll pass on the way to Kangra and Dharamshala. From Ranital, you take a turn off the highway and drive around 22.5km to the temple. The road initially climbs downhill, until you cross the Baner River, and after that, it's mostly flat land, with long, sweeping corners that are a real joy to drive on. To make it better, there's hardly any traffic on that road, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. There aren't any places to eat on the way there, but it's not a very long journey in the first place. The temple is one of the oldest monolithic temples in the country and it isn't very clear who built it.
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show