Hero Karizma ZMR long term review: After 6 months and 5,870km
I don't generally name the motorcycles or cars I get to ride or drive. I prefer calling them by the names bestowed on them by the manufacturers - Pulsar, Ciaz etc. But the ZMR has earned itself a name - Transformer. The last time my report on the ZMR was about how things would fall off the motorcycle and the not-so-happy nature of the engine as well as its transmission. Vibrations were a big problem. Surprisingly after the last (third, at the 5,000km mark) service, things have been much better. And hence the name.
With many of its earlier niggles sorted, the ZMR was suddenly in demand at the office. But it was I who grabbed the keys (despite repeated requests from people who wanted to 'clean' it and what not) and took it on two long rides. Once to Alibaug and another time to Nashik. Both rides were a near 300km round trip and I enjoyed them a lot more because of the bike's smoother nature. While I wouldn't say that the ZMR has the best or most powerful or even the most refined engine, it can definitely cruise comfortably over 100kmph. Ideal for those long weekend rides. This doesn't change with a pillion and at the end of the ride both will be totally relaxed owing to that brilliantly comfortable suspension setup. But this does take a toll on the handling with the ZMR being a little reluctant to tip into corners it simply is too big and soft. The brakes themselves are not the best stoppers around but they do their job.
The monsoon is about to set in and it is also time for Transformer's routine service. After all, she has covered more than 2,500km since the last report. A splatter guard (Hero has one for sale) is a must and I'd also like a performance filter. Will anything change with the latter? I shall let you know next month.
Total mileage - 5,879km Date acquired - Jan 15
This month: Mileage - 2,360km Fuel - 59 litres Efficiency - 40kmpl
More from OVERDRIVE on the new Hero Karizma ZMR
Team OD | 17 Jan 2018
- NewsGaurav Gill in talks for WRC2 drive in 2018
- FeaturesTravelogue: Exploring Chennai in the Hyundai Tucson SUV
- FeaturesOn test at OVERDRIVE: Chicco Cosmos car seat
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz S 350d, first BS VI compliant vehicle, revealed in India
- News2018 Auto Expo: The visitor's guide
- OpinionRoad safety attitude
- NewsToyota Vios spied ahead of 2018 Auto Expo debut
- NewsYamaha Aerox 155 scooter with 15PS spied in India
- NewsMRF FMSCI INRC: Gaurav Gill claims fifth national rally championship title with K1000 victory
- NewsDakar 2018: Walkner wins Moto class; Sainz claims second win in Car category