Hero Karizma ZMR long term review: After 6 months and 5,870km
I don't generally name the motorcycles or cars I get to ride or drive. I prefer calling them by the names bestowed on them by the manufacturers - Pulsar, Ciaz etc. But the ZMR has earned itself a name - Transformer. The last time my report on the ZMR was about how things would fall off the motorcycle and the not-so-happy nature of the engine as well as its transmission. Vibrations were a big problem. Surprisingly after the last (third, at the 5,000km mark) service, things have been much better. And hence the name.
With many of its earlier niggles sorted, the ZMR was suddenly in demand at the office. But it was I who grabbed the keys (despite repeated requests from people who wanted to 'clean' it and what not) and took it on two long rides. Once to Alibaug and another time to Nashik. Both rides were a near 300km round trip and I enjoyed them a lot more because of the bike's smoother nature. While I wouldn't say that the ZMR has the best or most powerful or even the most refined engine, it can definitely cruise comfortably over 100kmph. Ideal for those long weekend rides. This doesn't change with a pillion and at the end of the ride both will be totally relaxed owing to that brilliantly comfortable suspension setup. But this does take a toll on the handling with the ZMR being a little reluctant to tip into corners it simply is too big and soft. The brakes themselves are not the best stoppers around but they do their job.
The monsoon is about to set in and it is also time for Transformer's routine service. After all, she has covered more than 2,500km since the last report. A splatter guard (Hero has one for sale) is a must and I'd also like a performance filter. Will anything change with the latter? I shall let you know next month.
Total mileage - 5,879km Date acquired - Jan 15
This month: Mileage - 2,360km Fuel - 59 litres Efficiency - 40kmpl
More from OVERDRIVE on the new Hero Karizma ZMR
Starts Rs 1,08,000
- NewsHyundai Venue is the bestselling sub-compact SUV, Creta leads Hyundai sales
- NewsSeltos tops SUV sales again in March 2020, Kia holds on to third in overall sales
- NewsBMW R 18 debuts with R 5 inspired styling and a big boxer-twin
- News24 Hours of Le Mans 2020 scheduled for September 19
- NewsMaruti Suzuki all set to launch the 2020 S-cross next month
- Digitek Launches its Battery for Sony, the F-960/F-970 MU
- Digitek Introduces the DUC-008 Battery Charger
- Digitek Unveils its latest Softbox, the DSBH-055