Hyundai Creta long term review: Introduction
You might have read elsewhere in this issue that the Creta emerged victorious in two categories at the prestigious CNBC-TV18 OVERDRIVE awards for 2016 SUV of the Year and the all important Car of the Year. Well, I cannot agree more with the judges for I have now driven this car more extensively than anyone on the team I had the chance to take this car from the highest motorable road in the world in Khardung la, to the tip of our nation in Kanyakumari. Throughout the journey, the Creta proved to be a worthy road trip tool braving everything that came its way from bad roads and adulterated fuel to sweltering heat and ice-cold rain storms. In fact, it even coped with the slippery roads in Khardung La without all-wheel drive at its disposal.
During the fag end of our journey though, while casually driving through some village roads in Kerala, I hit a deep pothole with sharp edges. Sharp enough to make a small slit in the sidewall of the tyre and render it useless. We had a full-size spare to continue with the trip, but not having a stepney any more was a lot of unwanted anxiety for the remainder of the journey. Adding a tube to the damaged tyre could have been a stopgap solution, but sourcing a 17-incher for a 215-section tyre was next to impossible in the village region. The only option was to replace the tyre which would set you back by almost Rs 12,000. So if you are planning to embark on a journey through rural India, keep a spare tube handy in the right spec, unless you want to test your luck repeatedly.
Date acquired: Sept'15
Total Mileage: 10,438km
Starts Rs 9.5 Lakhs
- News2019 Bajaj Platina 110 launched at Rs 47,197
- News2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA teased ahead of debut next month at CES 2019
- Features35 years of the Maruti 800: A social icon
- NewsMore spy images emerge of upcoming 2019 Renault RBC seven-seater MPV
- NewsOkinawa i-Praise electric scooter pre-bookings begin at Rs 5,000
- News2020 Mahindra Thar off-roader spotted testing under camoflage
- NewsJawa Motorcycles opens its first two dealerships in Pune
- NewsINRC 2018: Popular Rally in Kochi to see three-way champonship tussle
- NewsDucati enters pre-owned motorcycle segment in India with Ducati Approved
- FeaturesTata Harrier: Things you will like