OD SUV Slugfest: BMW X3
BMW is a manufacturer that genuinely injected sport and high performance into SUVs when they first introduced the X5.
Styling and street presence
The X3 is stylish and clean-cut, but in comparison to others in its segment, its visual magnitude is not as impactful as its actual size and it's quite unlike several other typical SUVs.
Seating and visibility
Getting in or out is easy, although the rear wheel arch intrudes into entry space. The designers have been brainy and contoured the insides of the thick A-pillars to improve visibility. The low dash combines with them to enhance the view.
The ground clearance is handy, however, BMW's Xdrive all-wheel-drive system has no off-road mode and has rear wheel bias for better on-road driving dynamics. The hill descent has a speed control.
Space saver spare is in the boot and storage room in the cabin and back is good. But no headlight washers.
Touring ability and performance
The engine is somewhat sluggish and needs to be nudged hard to perform. Fuel tank range is a notable 1,100km.
The rear steps out too much and you have to keep correcting, which makes for very involving driving. The brakes are outstanding and overall the X3 is great fun.
Price: Rs 68.85 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.0D/190PS/400Nm
Fuel Economy: 16.9kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 65l/1100km
4WD lock: No
Diff Lock: No
Ground Clearance: 204mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,657 x 1,881 x 1,678
Weight: 1,885kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: Yes
Boot Capacity: 460l
Starts Rs 49.99 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show
- NewsAprilia studying the Indian market to introduce 125cc-150cc motorcycles