OD SUV Slugfest: Jeep Wrangler
Traces its DNA to the WWII model Willys MB, also known as Jeep. This makes the Wrangler the direct descendent of the first real SUV ever.
Styling and street presence
Design is clearly from the original Jeep, with modern additions and adaptations. The harmonious fusion of old and new gives it a lot of character. The street presence is enormous and only matched by the Mercedes-Benz G-Class. Like the G63, it has round H4 headlights from the 70s with halogen bulbs.
Seating and visibility
You have to climb in and the upright windscreen offers a good view that is only partially obstructed by the A-pillars. Old style wipers clean a fair area.
One of the most capable off-roaders in the world. It has 4WD with low ratio and the heavy duty axles and suspension give it go anywhere capability.
Strong skid plates for transfer case and fuel tank, but limited space, especially in the two door version.
Touring ability and performance
On road performance is fairly decent.
Four-wheel drive works well and braking is confident too. But not meant for fast stage times.
Price: Rs 78.07 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.8D/200PS/460Nm
Fuel Economy: 12.1kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 85l/1,075km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: Yes
Ground Clearance: 186mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,583 x 1,877 x 1,829
Weight: 2,119kg (gross)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: 884l
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
Starts Rs 2.19 Crore
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show