OD SUV Slugfest: Mahindra Thar
Mahindra once had an association with Jeep, and this is reflected in the Thar.
Styling and street presence
The design is familiar to most Indians as we have seen it in one avatar or the other.
Seating and visibility
Climbing in needs some effort, but due to the almost 90 degree angle of the windscreen and wafer thin A-pillars, the visibility is very good. Wipers are basic and their sweep is also limited.
Has 4WD with low range and impressive off-road abilities. Ground clearance is decent and approach and departure angles are good too. Short wheelbase makes it very manoeuverable.
The build quality could be better and the ergonomics also need improvement. Full-size spare fitted on tailgate is easy to access.
Touring ability and performance
Feels underpowered and struggles to overtake at speeds. Entire power train and drive train is unrefined. High speed stability is not up to the mark and needs corrections to even keep it in a straight line. Surely not for long journeys.
Takes the rough in its stride, but handling falls short of expectations. Needs constant corrections and gearbox does not encourage quick shifting.
Price: Rs 10.94 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.5D/107PS/247Nm
Fuel Economy: 13kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 60l/780km
4WD lock: No
Diff Lock: Rear
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 3,920 x 1,726 x 1,930
Weight: 1,750kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: NA
Starts Rs 5.22 Lakhs
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019
- News2018 MotoGP season comes to a dramatic end, Dovizioso wins 'two-part' rain soaked race
- News2018 JK NRC: Karthik Tharani wins 2018 Euro JK 18 championship