OD SUV Slugfest: Mahindra Thar
Mahindra once had an association with Jeep, and this is reflected in the Thar.
Styling and street presence
The design is familiar to most Indians as we have seen it in one avatar or the other.
Seating and visibility
Climbing in needs some effort, but due to the almost 90 degree angle of the windscreen and wafer thin A-pillars, the visibility is very good. Wipers are basic and their sweep is also limited.
Has 4WD with low range and impressive off-road abilities. Ground clearance is decent and approach and departure angles are good too. Short wheelbase makes it very manoeuverable.
The build quality could be better and the ergonomics also need improvement. Full-size spare fitted on tailgate is easy to access.
Touring ability and performance
Feels underpowered and struggles to overtake at speeds. Entire power train and drive train is unrefined. High speed stability is not up to the mark and needs corrections to even keep it in a straight line. Surely not for long journeys.
Takes the rough in its stride, but handling falls short of expectations. Needs constant corrections and gearbox does not encourage quick shifting.
Price: Rs 10.94 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.5D/107PS/247Nm
Fuel Economy: 13kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 60l/780km
4WD lock: No
Diff Lock: Rear
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 3,920 x 1,726 x 1,930
Weight: 1,750kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: NA
Starts Rs 5.22 Lakhs
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show