OD SUV Slugfest: Mahindra XUV500
The homegrown XUV has its own fan following and successfully battles the competition.
Styling and street presence
Its looks and styling have always generated diverse views. The recent facelift has added some flash and it continues to have significant street presence.
Seating and visibility
The rather broad A-pillars obstruct cornering visibility, but the low dash ensures the forward view is fine. Ingress and egress in front is good, while the rear seat is too high.
The Mahindra XUV has adequate ground clearance and is available with lockable all-wheel drive and hill descent and hill hold control.
With the third row up, boot space is a measly 93 litres. The spare wheel sits under the rear floor and is easily removed, but fitting it back requires some effort.
Touring ability and performance
The diesel engine is reasonably powerful. Cruising range is an impressive 980km, but with a full load, you need to push hard to overtake. Braking does not inspire lots of confidence.
The XUV was very enjoyable and felt good on the stage. Its timing is actually very impressive and maybe all the work that has gone into making it winner of the Indian National Rally Championship is rubbing off on production versions.
Price: Rs 23.06 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.2D/155PS/360Nm
Fuel Economy: 14kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 70l/980km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: No
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,585 x 1,890 x 1,785
Weight: 2,080kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: 93l
Starts Rs 12.72 Lakhs
- News2019 Euro NASCAR: Advait Deodhar scores rookie podium despite difficult season-opener
- FeaturesIndian Election Campaign Vehicles (IECV)
- NewsHyundai Venue: How does it stack up against the competition?
- NewsLimited edition Aston Martin DBS 59 pays homage to the company's 1959 win at Le Mans
- NewsTata Altroz spotted on test in Mumbai - India launch soon
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip