OD SUV Slugfest: Mahindra XUV500
The homegrown XUV has its own fan following and successfully battles the competition.
Styling and street presence
Its looks and styling have always generated diverse views. The recent facelift has added some flash and it continues to have significant street presence.
Seating and visibility
The rather broad A-pillars obstruct cornering visibility, but the low dash ensures the forward view is fine. Ingress and egress in front is good, while the rear seat is too high.
The Mahindra XUV has adequate ground clearance and is available with lockable all-wheel drive and hill descent and hill hold control.
With the third row up, boot space is a measly 93 litres. The spare wheel sits under the rear floor and is easily removed, but fitting it back requires some effort.
Touring ability and performance
The diesel engine is reasonably powerful. Cruising range is an impressive 980km, but with a full load, you need to push hard to overtake. Braking does not inspire lots of confidence.
The XUV was very enjoyable and felt good on the stage. Its timing is actually very impressive and maybe all the work that has gone into making it winner of the Indian National Rally Championship is rubbing off on production versions.
Price: Rs 23.06 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.2D/155PS/360Nm
Fuel Economy: 14kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 70l/980km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: No
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,585 x 1,890 x 1,785
Weight: 2,080kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: 93l
Starts Rs 12.39 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app
- NewsMercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsJaguar Land Rover India now offering advanced connectivity features on Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Discovery
- NewsVolvo Car India opens a boutique showroom in Noida
- News2018 TVS Ntorq 125 launched in Metallic Red paint option
- FeaturesImage gallery: OD SUV Slugfest
- News2019 BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT with new larger boxer engine revealed
- NewsImage gallery: Audi e-tron electric SUV unveiled
- NewsLive Updates: Vespa and Aprilia to launch new products in India
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil