OD SUV Slugfest: Mercedes-AMG G 63
A true old-school indestructible SUV. Built like a tank and powered by a rocket-like engine - the mightiest in this contest.
Styling and street presence
Classic SUV styling with lots of flat panels and still has the 70s style round headlights, but with projector beams. Also wears other modern ornamentation like LED DRLs, etc. Simply awesome street presence that is only matched by the other traditionalist SUV, the Jeep Wrangler.
Seating and visibility
Need to climb into this tall SUV. The high seating and upright A-pillars provide one of the best views available, with the entire bonnet and edges of fenders being in line of vision.
Great ground clearance, despite the AMG version being lower. Almost non-existent overhangs and foolproof 4WD drivetrain with three sequentially locking differentials. It does not get more serious or capable than this.
Born for off-roading, but lacks space of others in the segment. Powerful headlight washers clear even gluey mud.
Touring ability and performance
A performance car in the shell of a serious off-roader, the big issue is how quickly it goes through fuel. It's stiffly sprung and with this firm ride, it prefers good roads, especially on the stock performance tyres.
Too much power, which is difficult to put down. Confident handling and fun to drive, but not suitable for setting stage times.
Price: Rs 2.77 crore (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 5.5P/571PS/760Nm
Fuel Economy: 7.8kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 96l/750km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: Three
Ground Clearance: 205mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,763 x 1,855 x 1,855
Weight: 2,550kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: Yes
Headlight Washers: Yes
Boot Capacity: 487l
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show
- News2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class launched in India at Rs 40 lakh
- NewsNew-gen Honda CR-V to be launched in India on October 9
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Mercedes-Benz C-Class facelift India launch
- NewsImage gallery: Mercedes-AMG A35 revealed
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show
- NewsAprilia studying the Indian market to introduce 125cc-150cc motorcycles