OD SUV Slugfest: Mercedes-AMG G 63
A true old-school indestructible SUV. Built like a tank and powered by a rocket-like engine - the mightiest in this contest.
Styling and street presence
Classic SUV styling with lots of flat panels and still has the 70s style round headlights, but with projector beams. Also wears other modern ornamentation like LED DRLs, etc. Simply awesome street presence that is only matched by the other traditionalist SUV, the Jeep Wrangler.
Seating and visibility
Need to climb into this tall SUV. The high seating and upright A-pillars provide one of the best views available, with the entire bonnet and edges of fenders being in line of vision.
Great ground clearance, despite the AMG version being lower. Almost non-existent overhangs and foolproof 4WD drivetrain with three sequentially locking differentials. It does not get more serious or capable than this.
Born for off-roading, but lacks space of others in the segment. Powerful headlight washers clear even gluey mud.
Touring ability and performance
A performance car in the shell of a serious off-roader, the big issue is how quickly it goes through fuel. It's stiffly sprung and with this firm ride, it prefers good roads, especially on the stock performance tyres.
Too much power, which is difficult to put down. Confident handling and fun to drive, but not suitable for setting stage times.
Price: Rs 2.77 crore (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 5.5P/571PS/760Nm
Fuel Economy: 7.8kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 96l/750km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: Three
Ground Clearance: 205mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,763 x 1,855 x 1,855
Weight: 2,550kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: Yes
Headlight Washers: Yes
Boot Capacity: 487l
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
Team OD | 14 Sep 2018
- NewsPiaggio launches updated Aprilia SR150, Vespa and mobile connectivity app
- NewsMercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain to be launched in India on September 28
- NewsJaguar Land Rover India now offering advanced connectivity features on Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Discovery
- NewsVolvo Car India opens a boutique showroom in Noida
- News2018 TVS Ntorq 125 launched in Metallic Red paint option
- FeaturesImage gallery: OD SUV Slugfest
- News2019 BMW R 1250 GS and R 1250 RT with new larger boxer engine revealed
- NewsImage gallery: Audi e-tron electric SUV unveiled
- NewsLive Updates: Vespa and Aprilia to launch new products in India
- NewsMercedes-AMG A35 hot hatchback teased ahead of Paris Motor Show unveil