OD SUV Slugfest: Mercedes-AMG G 63
A true old-school indestructible SUV. Built like a tank and powered by a rocket-like engine - the mightiest in this contest.
Styling and street presence
Classic SUV styling with lots of flat panels and still has the 70s style round headlights, but with projector beams. Also wears other modern ornamentation like LED DRLs, etc. Simply awesome street presence that is only matched by the other traditionalist SUV, the Jeep Wrangler.
Seating and visibility
Need to climb into this tall SUV. The high seating and upright A-pillars provide one of the best views available, with the entire bonnet and edges of fenders being in line of vision.
Great ground clearance, despite the AMG version being lower. Almost non-existent overhangs and foolproof 4WD drivetrain with three sequentially locking differentials. It does not get more serious or capable than this.
Born for off-roading, but lacks space of others in the segment. Powerful headlight washers clear even gluey mud.
Touring ability and performance
A performance car in the shell of a serious off-roader, the big issue is how quickly it goes through fuel. It's stiffly sprung and with this firm ride, it prefers good roads, especially on the stock performance tyres.
Too much power, which is difficult to put down. Confident handling and fun to drive, but not suitable for setting stage times.
Price: Rs 2.77 crore (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 5.5P/571PS/760Nm
Fuel Economy: 7.8kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 96l/750km
4WD lock: Yes
Diff Lock: Three
Ground Clearance: 205mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,763 x 1,855 x 1,855
Weight: 2,550kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: Yes
Headlight Washers: Yes
Boot Capacity: 487l
Starts Rs 56 Lakhs
- FeaturesIndian Election Campaign Vehicles (IECV)
- NewsHyundai Venue: How does it stack up against the competition?
- NewsLimited edition Aston Martin DBS 59 pays homage to the company's 1959 win at Le Mans
- NewsTata Altroz spotted on test in Mumbai - India launch soon
- NewsImage gallery: 2020 Mercedes-AMG GLC S 63 Coupe
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip