OD SUV Slugfest: Tata Hexa
The Hexa is underpinned by an upgraded chassis from the erstwhile Aria MPV, but it's reinvented as a SUV.
Styling and street presence
Tata has tried really hard to make the Hexa look as new as possible. But the stronger SUV like styling still doesn't quite conceal the fact that it's actually a MPV. Nevertheless it does have a hefty street presence.
Seating and visibility
Ingress and egress is not bad, but you have to use the running boards to climb into the high seats with a lofty view. The bulky A-pillars restrict cornering visibility and the wipers do not cover a large portion of the centre, top and left-hand side. Even when not in use, they block the view due to their high resting position.
It has satisfactory ground clearance but a long front overhang. The Hexa is available with all-wheel drive with a 'rough road' mode. However we could not try this out, as the vehicle we got was a two-wheel drive variant.
Storage space in the cabin is really limited and access to the jack and toolkit is cumbersome.
Touring ability and performance
The comfortable ride quality is ideal for our imperfect roads but with the small tank capacity and unimpressive fuel consumption, tank range is 700km.
Given its size and weight, the Hexa was surprisingly entertaining to drive. Simply because the torquey engine and suspension setup allows one to keep pushing even with the tail continuously stepping out and requiring constant corrections.
Price: Rs 21.85 lakh (on-road, Mumbai)
Engine type: 2.2D/156PS/400Nm
Fuel Economy: 11.8kmpl
Fuel capacity and Range: 60l/710km
4WD lock: No
Diff Lock: No
Ground Clearance: 200mm
Dimensions (LWH) mm: 4,788 x 1,903 x 1,791
Weight: 2,113kg (kerb)
Off-Road Driving Modes: No
Headlight Washers: No
Boot Capacity: 610l
Starts Rs 12.99 Lakhs
- News2019 Toyota Glanza: Top five things that you should know
- News2019 ARRC: Idemitsu Honda Racing India's Rajiv Sethu to start Adelaide race in 12th
- News2020 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R superbike bookings open
- NewsAther Energy to enter Chennai in June
- News2019 Jeep Wrangler SUV spotted testing undisguised in India again
- Wedding Photography Symposium
- Sony Better Photography Wedding Photographer of the Year 2018-19 Awards Night
- Sony BP WPOY 2018-19: Top 10 in The Joy of Light by Photoquip