Product review: Dainese D-Explorer Gore-Tex Pants
I bought these pants in September 2016 and today, about seven months later, they're toast. And I wish them a fond adieu with more than a small amount of gratitude. If you read my column last month, you would know that I managed to come off my Ducati, trapping my left leg in the process on April Fools' Day, 2017.
I suffered a severely sprained outer ligament (LCL, to be precise), extensive soft tissue injuries from above the knee to the middle of my foot and as I write this, I've only begun to walk normally a full 28 days after the fact.
But here's the kicker. My doctor, who runs the orthopaedics department in one of Mumbai's largest public hospitals, says, "You're very lucky. Trapped lower limbs usually mean a compound break in the tibia and/or fibula - a bone sticking out." Cue surgery, plates and possible infections. But in my case, he then saw the damage to the Dainese and noted that he would add, "A full knee rebuild and maybe some ankle work as well."
The basic job of motorcycle gear is to protect you from impact and abrasion. The tears on the pants suggest that very severe abrasion was kept at bay from my skin and I didn't actually have any open wounds.
The armour over the knee has scuffs inside that suggest my shin was saved from impacts as well. And we know for sure that the knee was, as well. All told, I'm about ready to spend another Rs 35,000 buying a replacement pair. Because these have just proved to be wonderful in every way.
If you read my previous review, they met my expectations for fit, finish, materials as well as the functional needs of riding in the warm, cold and wet conditions. What was left was crash performance. Well, I am happy to say that this crash test dummy gives the Dainese D-Explorer Gore-Tex Pants a full thumbs up.
The more important lesson, perhaps, is to spend money on good gear. And then, to wear it whenever you ride a motorcycle.
Price: Rs 35,000
Dainese D-Store San Francisco
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907
- NewsSkoda appoints Pavel Richter as production technical director of its India 2.0 project
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 riding gear and apparel
- NewsImage gallery: Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 and Interceptor 650 accessories
- OpinionOn OVERDRIVE turning twenty...
- Review2018 Lexus ES 300h first drive review
- NewsThe OVERDRIVE 24 Hours Performance Run is coming your way this weekend
- NewsFerrari lays out plans till 2022, will build 'Purosangue' SUV
- News2019 Suzuki Katana to be unveiled on October 2 at the Intermot show