Product review: G2 Street Competition Quick Turn Throttle for KTM 390 Duke
I came across G2 while trawling (not trolling) through the KTM forums looking for a good quick throttle. Why? I find the Duke 390's stock throttle way too long and it gets in my way. I understand why a powerful bike needs a long throttle to allow new riders to modulate power better. But I was ready. I'm not a fan of hack solutions so as effective as the homemade solution Rishaad uses is, I wanted something more, er, professional.
The G2 proved to be what I wanted. Full throttle doesn't require the wrist to do yoga any more and this means I can exploit the KTM's torque and power more easily everywhere. The flip side which I like but new riders may not - is that it makes the KTM even more aggressive. The throttle's bigger cam seems to amplify the extra torque that arrives at 6,500-7,000rpm and the 390 really takes off. On Mumbai's dirty roads, it's enough to kick the rear wheel loose in the middle gears. Small power wheelies in first are also a new behavioural trait. G2, of course, warns that this throttle isn't recommended for street use.
Installation was simple and you must remember that a quicker throttle usually makes the throttle stiffer to turn you move the hand less to open the throttle body's pulley more. This also has fuel economy implications. The KTM returns noticeably lower fuel efficiency in hard running because you're using more throttle everywhere. It returns to its usual mileage though in steady state highway running.
The all aluminium throttle with delrin inserts is not cheap at $80 (plus shipping) but it makes Ferocitas more aggressive which I really like. Money well spent, then!
Available at g2ergo.com
Price Rs 5,350
For more product reviews from OVERDRIVE, click here
Starts Rs 2,35,931
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsSpec Comparo: Benelli TRK 502X vs Kawasaki Versys X 300 vs SWM SuperDual T
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: Audi Q4 e-tron concept sketches unveiled
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani