Product review: G2 Street Competition Quick Turn Throttle for KTM 390 Duke
I came across G2 while trawling (not trolling) through the KTM forums looking for a good quick throttle. Why? I find the Duke 390's stock throttle way too long and it gets in my way. I understand why a powerful bike needs a long throttle to allow new riders to modulate power better. But I was ready. I'm not a fan of hack solutions so as effective as the homemade solution Rishaad uses is, I wanted something more, er, professional.
The G2 proved to be what I wanted. Full throttle doesn't require the wrist to do yoga any more and this means I can exploit the KTM's torque and power more easily everywhere. The flip side which I like but new riders may not - is that it makes the KTM even more aggressive. The throttle's bigger cam seems to amplify the extra torque that arrives at 6,500-7,000rpm and the 390 really takes off. On Mumbai's dirty roads, it's enough to kick the rear wheel loose in the middle gears. Small power wheelies in first are also a new behavioural trait. G2, of course, warns that this throttle isn't recommended for street use.
Installation was simple and you must remember that a quicker throttle usually makes the throttle stiffer to turn you move the hand less to open the throttle body's pulley more. This also has fuel economy implications. The KTM returns noticeably lower fuel efficiency in hard running because you're using more throttle everywhere. It returns to its usual mileage though in steady state highway running.
The all aluminium throttle with delrin inserts is not cheap at $80 (plus shipping) but it makes Ferocitas more aggressive which I really like. Money well spent, then!
Available at g2ergo.com
Price Rs 5,350
For more product reviews from OVERDRIVE, click here
Starts Rs 2,35,931
- NewsVideo worth watching: V12-powered Ferrari 250 GTO screaming to glory
- Review2018 Honda Jazz review
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Scrutiny and driver's briefing image gallery
- FeaturesIndependence Quattro Drive 2018: From Chandigarh to Leh
- NewsDrag strip-only Ford Mustang Cobra Jet unveiled
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV to be launched in India on September 3
- NewsIndia Baja 2018: Pre-scrutiny image gallery
- NewsHarley-Davidson India rolls out new Street to Softail trade-in offer
- NewsKerala floods: Nissan India offers service support to affected customers
- NewsHero MotoCorp re-enters used two-wheeler business with Hero Sure in India