Summer special: Does leaving the sunroof shade open, affect your AC's performance?
By now, you must have seen the ultimate Indian automobile AC test on our website. To keep with the whole theme, we've been putting out other related stories too Ferrari's advanced AC technology, how to use your AC effectively, the dark days before AC was standard OEM fitment and the effect of AC on efficiency and performance. If you're a motorcyclist, we've also got a story on how to stay cool on a bike. Now we've got another one, and it involves sunroofs. Do they affect how long it takes to cool your car? We're not talking about when they're open, but when the glass is shut, and the shade isn't. For our test, we took two Hyundai Elantras one with a sunroof and one without. They were of the same colour too silver. We conducted the test the same way we did for all the other cars and collected the data.
The results showed that the initial rate of cooling for both cars were similar, with the temperature dropping to around 32?C in the first four minutes. However, after that, there were fluctuations in the cabin temperature of the car with the sunroof. For instance, at the six-minute mark, the cabin temperature in that car went up by around half a degree, whereas in the car without the sunroof, the temperature had dropped by 1.7 degrees. At the end of the 10-minute run, the temperature in car with the sunroof had fallen to 30.8 degrees while in the other car, the temperature went down to 28.7 degrees. It took another three and a half minutes before the temperature in the sunroof-equipped Elantra hit 28.8 degrees. So evidently, leaving the sunroof's shade open in your car does affect how long it takes for the cabin cool.
Starts Rs 13.29 Lakhs
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa