Video worth watching: 2017 Honda Civic Type-R decimates Nurburgring front-wheel drive lap record
The fabled Nurburgring in Germany has been widely regarded as one of the best and most challenging proving grounds in the world. The title of the fastest car to lap 'The Ring' has been coveted by the best in the industry. And given the nature of this circuit, which is technical, fast and challenging, every dynamic aspect of a car is put to the test.
Honda's 2015 Civic Type-R was the fastest front wheel drive car in that year, however, Volkswagen managed to grab that title in 2016 with their Golf GTI Clubsport S.
Honda has been working really hard to snatch the title back, and the 2017 Civic Type-R has managed to bring the title back to the Japanese manufacturer, a few days ago. The car was 3.39 seconds faster than the Volkswagen, which is quite a gap!
The car used is a pre-production prototype and was fitted with a roll-cage for crash protection. To offset the gain in weight, the engineers took out the rear seat and the infotainment system before commencing the run.
The car is powered by a 2-litre turbocharged, four-cylinder petrol motor that develops 306PS. Coupled with the car's rigid set up, that claims to have helped it achieve faster corner speeds, the 2017 Civic Type-R was able to shave precious milliseconds which helped it set a new record.
The video contains on-board footage of the 7min 43.80 second lap as well as insights into the chassis development by lead chassis engineer, Ryuichi Kijima.
- NewsWorld Ducati Week: Bayliss, Lorenzo, Dovizioso to battle it out in Race of Champions
- News2018 BMW 6 Series GT diesel launched in India at Rs 66.50 lakh
- News2018 Mahindra TUV300 Plus variants explained
- Features2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V longterm review: Introduction
- News2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted testing again in South Korea
- ReviewMercedes-AMG C 43 4Matic Cabriolet first drive review
- ReviewMercedes-Benz 2018 C 200 first drive review
- NewsVolvo S60 sedan unveiled internationally, to rival Mercedes C-Class
- NewsGaurav Gill's 2017 Team MRF Skoda Fabia R5 immortalized in scale model form
- NewsKTM RC200 now available with a black colour option