Video worth watching: 2017 Honda Civic Type-R decimates Nurburgring front-wheel drive lap record
The fabled Nurburgring in Germany has been widely regarded as one of the best and most challenging proving grounds in the world. The title of the fastest car to lap 'The Ring' has been coveted by the best in the industry. And given the nature of this circuit, which is technical, fast and challenging, every dynamic aspect of a car is put to the test.
Honda's 2015 Civic Type-R was the fastest front wheel drive car in that year, however, Volkswagen managed to grab that title in 2016 with their Golf GTI Clubsport S.
Honda has been working really hard to snatch the title back, and the 2017 Civic Type-R has managed to bring the title back to the Japanese manufacturer, a few days ago. The car was 3.39 seconds faster than the Volkswagen, which is quite a gap!
The car used is a pre-production prototype and was fitted with a roll-cage for crash protection. To offset the gain in weight, the engineers took out the rear seat and the infotainment system before commencing the run.
The car is powered by a 2-litre turbocharged, four-cylinder petrol motor that develops 306PS. Coupled with the car's rigid set up, that claims to have helped it achieve faster corner speeds, the 2017 Civic Type-R was able to shave precious milliseconds which helped it set a new record.
The video contains on-board footage of the 7min 43.80 second lap as well as insights into the chassis development by lead chassis engineer, Ryuichi Kijima.
Team OD | 12 Feb 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R15 v3
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Yamaha YZF-R6
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer and MT-09 Tracer GT
- NewsImage gallery: Mahindra Stinger concept at the Auto Expo 2018
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Honda Civic
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha MT-10
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Suzuki Burgman Street 125cc maxi scooter image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: 2018 Mahindra Rexton G4
- NewsTVS Ntorq 125 - Five things we love and three things we don't
- News2018 TVS Ntorq 125 first ride image gallery