Video worth watching: Derek Bell drives McLaren's 4WD M9A F1 car 48 years later
You know who Derek Bell is, right? Five-time winner of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, three-time winner of the 24 Hours of Daytona, two-time World Sportscar Champion, former Formula 1 driver for teams like Ferrari and Surtees...basically, a legendary British racecar driver of yesteryear. In 1969, Bruce McLaren invited him to drive at the Silverstone GP, and to debut McLaren's first four-wheel drive Formula 1 car, the M9A. Unfortunately, Bell had to retire after just six laps due to suspension issues.
In this video, McLaren invites him, 48 years later, to drive the very same M9A. Bell tells us about what it was like to drive the McLaren M9A back in the day, and how it was almost impossible to tame. But what's even more amazing in this video is the ravishing sound of that M9A's V8 engine. It got us weak in the knees!
Team OD | 17 Jan 2018
- NewsDakar 2018: Walkner wins Moto class; Sainz claims second win in Car category
- NewsDakar 2018: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia ends 11th overall
- NewsDakar 2018: Hero MotoSports' Oriol Mena stuns with seventh overall on debut
- FeaturesDay Two at the Harley-Davidson University
- Review2018 Maruti Suzuki Swift first drive review
- NewsRange Rover Velar launched India at Rs 78.83 lakh
- FeaturesDay One at the Harley-Davidson University
- NewsDakar 2018: Walkner and Sainz maintain overall lead after Stage 13
- NewsDakar 2018: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia ranked 11th overall after Stage 13
- NewsDakar 2018: Hero MotoSports rider Oriol Mena ranked eighth overall after Stage 13