Ferrari's turbo V8 voted the best engine of the last 20 years
Ferrari has won the Best of the Best award for its 3.9-litre turbocharged V8 engine from the jury of the International Engine of the Year (IEOTY) Awards 2018. The Italian V8 has won the IEOTY Award for the third year in a row now. Ferrari's 720-cv turbo V8 powers all its V8-engined cars, and this year it has won for its performance in the Ferrari 488 Pista. The Best of the Best Award category was a special for this edition of IEOTY as it it celebrates its 20th year. The category was reserved for the winners of all the IEOTY winners from the last 20 years of the awards. Ferrari also won two awards for its 800-cv 6.5-litre V12, which powers the Ferrari 812 Superfast, taking its award tally to six this year.
Here is the full press release from Ferrari:
The latest iteration of Ferrari's turbo-charged V8 that equips, in various forms, all Ferrari's V8-engined cars, has been nominated the best engine in the world for the third year running in the 2018 International Engine of the Year Awards.
In this, the award's 20th anniversary edition, Ferrari took no fewer than six awards, the highest number for any manufacturer in any one year, bringing the total of Ferrari's trophies up to 27, a record number of wins for any sports car company.
Along with the overall Engine of the Year honour, the 720-cv 3.9-litre V8 that powers the new 488 Pista also took the 3-litre to 4-litre class, the Performance Engine category and the special nomination for the 'Best of the Best', with the 68 international judges asked to vote for the top engine from among all the winners over the last 20 years.
"In the 488 GTB, the 3.9-litre eight-cylinder was a near-perfect example of a high-performance turbocharged engine, setting the bar so high that it swept aside rival powertrains," said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the IEOTY Awards. "But redeveloped and tweaked for the 488 Pista, the best engine in the world just got better. Without doubt, we're looking at an engineering masterclass from Ferrari. No turbo lag, beautiful delivery, raw emotion, a furious growl and so much power this Ferrari V8 is a work of art."
Crowning Ferrari's record-breaking year, the naturally-aspirated 800-cv 6.5-litre V12 powering the 812 Superfast also won two awards: the Above 4-litre class and, due to it being comprehensively re-engineered from the 6.3-litre unit that equipped the F12berlinetta with 75% new components, the Best New Engine category.
Starts Rs 3.97 Crore
Starts Rs 5.2 Crore
- News2018 INMRC: TVS Racing's Jagan Kumar wins the Super Sport 165cc championship
- News2019 Suzuki Hayabusa bookings open in India at Rs 1 lakh
- NewsDroom hosts India's first pre-owned automotive awards
- NewsNew Land Rover Defender teased, will debut in 2019
- NewsMahindra XUV300 SUV is the official name of S201, to be launched in February 2019
- NewsLive updates: Mahindra S201 sub-four-metre SUV name announcement
- News2019 Honda Civic spotted testing in India ahead of launch
- NewsVolkswagen ID electric hatchback begins testing, to have 550 km range
- NewsThree SUVs that will compete with Jeep Renegade in India
- NewsDucati Dream Tour Rajasthan to be held from February 1 to 5, 2019