Fire at Subros forces Maruti to shut its plant for two shifts
Maruti Suzuki India would keep its manufacturing plants shut from the second shift (B shift) on Monday till the first shift (A shift) on Tuesday. The reason is being a massive fire broke out at Maruti's air-conditioner supplier Subros Limited's Manesar plant.
As per reports, the manufacturer's Gurgaon, Manesar and MPT plants would not commence production in B shift on the 30th May, 2016 till 31st May, A shift. However, the two-wheeler production would carry on as usual. Maruti in its official statement said, "Maruti Suzuki India Limited will have to temporarily suspend manufacture of cars at its facilities in Manesar and Gurgaon, starting second half Monday (May 30)."
Subros Limited, an auto component maker, used to supply about 60 per cent of Maruti Suzuki India's total air-conditioner consumption. Meanwhile, Subros and Maruti are currently assessing the extent of damage caused due to fire. Both firms are looking for alternatives to start supply of components from other facilities. Production at the manufacturer's plant is supposed to start as soon as the required components are available.
The Subros plant is situated in sector eight of Manesar and spread over an area of 38,000 sq metres. According to eyewitnesses, the situation got aggravated after LPG cylinders started exploding, which initially were stored there. A portion of the building collapsed later while some other parts developed cracks. Over a dozen fire tenders were put into action to extinguish the fire. No casualties were reported.
Image source: ETAuto.com
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Dhruv Mohite wins Race 1 at season-opener at Kari Motor Speedway
- NewsIndian National Racing Championship 2018: Round 2 free practice sees Arjun Balu make a successful return
- NewsVideo worth watching: Climb Dance - Ari Vatanen's 1988 record run at Pikes Peak
- News2018 VW Ameo Cup: Racing action begins at Kari Motor Speedway this weekend
- NewsSkoda takes responsibility for development of Volkswagen's low-cost small car platform in India
- NewsMahindra Racing to preview Gen2 Formula E car at CarFest South Festival
- NewsVolkswagen Motorsport India-developed TC4-A cars to compete in National Racing Championship
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV launched in India at Rs 31.54 lakh
- NewsRecent trademark filing suggests Mercedes-AMG C 53 in the works
- News2018 Ford Figo sedan revealed in South Africa