FMSCI nominee Gautam Singhania elected to World Motorsport Council
Gautam Singhania, the FMSCI's nominee to the post of titular member of the FIA World Motorsport Council, has won the election. This means that India has reclaimed the high seat in the FIA WMSC. The elections were held during the FIA Annual General Assembly at Paris on Friday. Singhania is one of 14 members, of 22 nominees, from different parts of the world, who was elected. He claimed the post of titular member, with 82 votes in his favour.
Akbar Ebrahim, president of the FMSCI, was named the deputy titular. Ebrahim will represent India at the WMSC along with Singhania. In addition to the the titular member, and the deputy titular, 17 of 20 nominated members from India were co-opted into various FIA sporting commissions, which ensures the country is well represented at the FIA. In addition to the 14 members, the World Motorsport Council also consists of seven vice-presidents and one deputy president. The term for elected members is four years.
Speaking after his election, Singhania said, "I am elated and excited to be elected like this. It's a privilege and honour for me and I will do my best. I thank the members of the FMSCI for their support. I am a driver and an enthusiast so I understand the issues that need to be addressed."
Also delighted with the victory was Akbar Ebrahim, who said "I am really glad that Gautam Singhania has been elected. It gives us great satisfaction to note that an Indian will be a board member of the FIA World Motor Sports Council. I would like to thank Jean Todt, President FIA, and all the FIA General Assembly members for all the support extended to India, the FMSCI and to Gautam Singhania."
"It is also a matter of pride that 17 of our nominated members have been co-opted in various FIA Sporting Commissions. This is the highest Indian representation in the FIA till date," he continued.
- ReviewSuzuki V-Strom 650 XT ABS first ride review
- NewsMG Motor India's first launch: Everything we know
- NewsVolkswagen Passat with Connect app launched at Rs 25.99 lakh
- News2019 Hyundai Santro spotted in top-spec Asta trim
- NewsHero Destini 125cc scooter to launch on October 22
- NewsChinese carmaker Great Wall Motors to enter India by 2021-22
- NewsImage gallery: New BMW X7 SUV
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq GT coupe-SUV unveiled for China
- News2019 BMW X7 SUV unveiled internationally
- FeaturesReady to race: Volkswagen Vento TC4-A Racecar first drive review