Ford and Mahindra to co-develop SUVs and EVs
Mahindra and Ford have announced they will co-develop a mid-sized SUV based on a Mahindra platform. This car will be sold independently by both companies under separate brands. They have signed five MoUs in which they have also agreed to evaluate co-development of a compact SUV and an electric vehicle, along with sharing powertrain portfolios which includes the supply of Mahindra powertrains to strengthen Ford's product range.
Mahindra and Ford also announced plans to co-develop a suite of connected car solutions for consumers. Over the three-year period of the deal, the companies will also explore opportunities to extend support to Mahindra in global emerging markets, including Ford's manufacturing and distribution network and collaborate to address future mobility needs.
These non-binding MoUs mark the strengthening of ties between both companies since first forming an alliance in September 2017 to address global challenges in the auto industry. The main aim of this deal is to accelerate the development of key products for consumers in India and emerging markets. The companies hope to leverage their strengths in the utility vehicle space. They also expect to benefit from Ford's global reach and expertise, and Mahindra's scale in India and its successful operating model. The two companies share a long relationship, they first partnered in 1995 to sell the Ford Escort in India. This car had marked Ford's foray into India and Mahindra's expansion into passenger cars.
- NewsAudi Q5L unveiled before Auto China 2018 debut
- NewsHero Motocorp revises prices across its entire range by up to Rs 625
- NewsSuzuki Ertiga rival Mitsubishi Xpander MPV exports begin from Indonesia
- News2018 Toyota Yaris: Variant-wise price guide
- News2018 Toyota Yaris launched in India at Rs 8.75 lakh
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander bookings open in India
- News2018 Suzuki GSX-S750: Four things you will like and three you won't
- Features2016 Ducati Multistrada 1200S long term review: After 16,700km and fourteen months
- NewsAuto China 2018: BMW M2 Competition debuts in China
- NewsAuto China 2018: Vision Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury concept showcased