Ford and Mahindra to co-develop SUVs and EVs
Mahindra and Ford have announced they will co-develop a mid-sized SUV based on a Mahindra platform. This car will be sold independently by both companies under separate brands. They have signed five MoUs in which they have also agreed to evaluate co-development of a compact SUV and an electric vehicle, along with sharing powertrain portfolios which includes the supply of Mahindra powertrains to strengthen Ford's product range.
Mahindra and Ford also announced plans to co-develop a suite of connected car solutions for consumers. Over the three-year period of the deal, the companies will also explore opportunities to extend support to Mahindra in global emerging markets, including Ford's manufacturing and distribution network and collaborate to address future mobility needs.
These non-binding MoUs mark the strengthening of ties between both companies since first forming an alliance in September 2017 to address global challenges in the auto industry. The main aim of this deal is to accelerate the development of key products for consumers in India and emerging markets. The companies hope to leverage their strengths in the utility vehicle space. They also expect to benefit from Ford's global reach and expertise, and Mahindra's scale in India and its successful operating model. The two companies share a long relationship, they first partnered in 1995 to sell the Ford Escort in India. This car had marked Ford's foray into India and Mahindra's expansion into passenger cars.
- News2018 INMRC: Jagan Kumar widens lead in the Super Sport category
- NewsLive updates: Vazirani Shul electric hypercar showcased in India
- NewsMaserati Ghibli Ribelle is an all-black limited edition offering for the EMEA markets
- News2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 twin and Interceptor 650 twin prices out!
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross facelift spotted testing in India
- NewsTriumph India to launch six new motorcycles by June 2019
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS interiors revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know