Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan is first pursuit-rated hybrid police car
After taxis, the vehicles that are run the most are probably police cars. And now, with the growing awareness to save the planet, everyone seems to be switching to hybrid vehicles even a few police departments in the US. Ford recently debuted a Fusion Hybrid-based police car the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
It is the first pursuit-rated hybrid police car. As the rating suggests, the Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan (yes, that's exactly what they're calling it) can tackle a series of police department tests which make it capable enough to handle a hot pursuit. At the same time, Ford claims that it will return twice the efficiency of the Taurus-based Police Interceptor (16.16kmpl) which runs a 3.7-litre V6.
The Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan, like the car it's based on, is a front-wheel-drive monocoque. It is powered by a 2.0-litre Atkinson-cycle engine and a single electric motor that draws power from a Lithium-ion battery. In comparison, the iconic Ford Crown Vic, which we've seen in so many movies, was based on a traditional ladder-on-frame chassis and ran a 4.6-litre V8 which powered the rear wheels. Ford has reworked the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan's powertrain to allow the car to run in EV mode up to around 100kmph, and also allow for maximum performance when required.
Here's a fun little animation of the evolution of the police cars in the US, right from the 1950 Ford Mainline to the 2017 Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
- OpinionNatural selection
- FeaturesThe Brembo 19RCS Costa Corsa explained
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia finishes seventh overall
- NewsBosch develops an automated valet parking system with e. Go
- NewsSMEV signs an MoU with TAITRA to develop EV development infrastructure
- NewsToyota wants privacy concerns addressed before it adds Android Auto
- OpinionWe make modern cars, so why not tanks?
- NewsUpcoming Lexus ES facelift teased in video ahead of Beijing Auto Show launch
- NewsHonda unveils Small RS Concept in Indonesia, preview to next Brio
- NewsDucati to offer radar, cornering ABS but not missiles on its motorcycle range