Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan is first pursuit-rated hybrid police car
After taxis, the vehicles that are run the most are probably police cars. And now, with the growing awareness to save the planet, everyone seems to be switching to hybrid vehicles even a few police departments in the US. Ford recently debuted a Fusion Hybrid-based police car the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
It is the first pursuit-rated hybrid police car. As the rating suggests, the Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan (yes, that's exactly what they're calling it) can tackle a series of police department tests which make it capable enough to handle a hot pursuit. At the same time, Ford claims that it will return twice the efficiency of the Taurus-based Police Interceptor (16.16kmpl) which runs a 3.7-litre V6.
The Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan, like the car it's based on, is a front-wheel-drive monocoque. It is powered by a 2.0-litre Atkinson-cycle engine and a single electric motor that draws power from a Lithium-ion battery. In comparison, the iconic Ford Crown Vic, which we've seen in so many movies, was based on a traditional ladder-on-frame chassis and ran a 4.6-litre V8 which powered the rear wheels. Ford has reworked the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan's powertrain to allow the car to run in EV mode up to around 100kmph, and also allow for maximum performance when required.
Here's a fun little animation of the evolution of the police cars in the US, right from the 1950 Ford Mainline to the 2017 Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
- NewsWRC 2018: Victory at Rallye Deutschland for Ott Tanak
- NewsHonda crosses 1 crore two-wheeler sales in Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Goa combined
- News2018 Tata Tigor JTP spied with twin barrel exhaust
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz launched in India at a price of Rs 8.19 lakh
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz - Watch Live Launch
- News2018 Mitsubishi Outlander launched in India for Rs 31.95 lakh ex-showroom
- NewsHyundai announces investment in Indian self-drive car sharing company Revv
- NewsMini Urban Drive experience begins in India
- News2018 Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to be launched in India today
- NewsHyundai AH2 (Santro) hatchback naming contest begins in India