Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan is first pursuit-rated hybrid police car
After taxis, the vehicles that are run the most are probably police cars. And now, with the growing awareness to save the planet, everyone seems to be switching to hybrid vehicles even a few police departments in the US. Ford recently debuted a Fusion Hybrid-based police car the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
It is the first pursuit-rated hybrid police car. As the rating suggests, the Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan (yes, that's exactly what they're calling it) can tackle a series of police department tests which make it capable enough to handle a hot pursuit. At the same time, Ford claims that it will return twice the efficiency of the Taurus-based Police Interceptor (16.16kmpl) which runs a 3.7-litre V6.
The Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan, like the car it's based on, is a front-wheel-drive monocoque. It is powered by a 2.0-litre Atkinson-cycle engine and a single electric motor that draws power from a Lithium-ion battery. In comparison, the iconic Ford Crown Vic, which we've seen in so many movies, was based on a traditional ladder-on-frame chassis and ran a 4.6-litre V8 which powered the rear wheels. Ford has reworked the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan's powertrain to allow the car to run in EV mode up to around 100kmph, and also allow for maximum performance when required.
Here's a fun little animation of the evolution of the police cars in the US, right from the 1950 Ford Mainline to the 2017 Ford Police Responder Hybrid Sedan.
- NewsNew-generation Maruti Suzuki Ertiga teased in pre-launch video
- News2018 Datsun Go and Go Plus in South Africa: Top five facts
- NewsHonda Brio hatchback discontinued in India
- News2018 Lamborghini SC18 unveiled, its first one-off car
- NewsWRC 2018: Ogier clinches sixth title as Latvala wins Rally Australia
- NewsNissan Motor Co chairman Carlos Ghosn faces arrest by Japan authorities over financial violations allegations
- NewsVolkswagen India asked to deposit Rs 100 crores by the NGT over Dieselgate
- NewsSpied: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLA sedan caught testing
- ReviewHero Xtreme 200R vs TVS Apache RTR 160 4v comparison test
- NewsMahindra Marazzo MPV prices to increase by up to Rs 40,000 from January 2019