Ford to invest $11 billion, launch 40 electric vehicles by 2022
Ford Motor Co has announced that it has planned investments of $11 billion (Rs 69,861 crore approximately) towards electric vehicles by 2022. Chairman of Ford Motor Co, Bill Ford said at the Detroit Motor Show, that the company will add 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles (EVs) to its global lineup in three years. Earlier, Ford had announced an investment of $4.5 billion into EVs by 2020. Of the 40 electrified models, 16 will be fully electric, while the other 24 will be plug-in hybrids. "We're all in on this and we're taking our mainstream vehicles, our most iconic vehicles, and we're electrifying them," Ford told reporters. "If we want to be successful with electrification, we have to do it with vehicles that are already popular."
Image credit: Reuters
Ford also plans to cut as much as $14 billion (Rs 88,837 crore approximately) in costs over the coming five years and move capital investment from sedans and internal combustion engines towards pick-up trucks, as well as electric and hybrid vehicles. General Motors, Volkswagen AG, and Toyota Motor Corp have already announced similar plans for their model line-ups for over the next few years. The Indian government has clearly outlined its plans for auto manufacturers on the one hand and EV makers including Tesla Inc have already gained mainstream popularity with their electric vehicles, leaving major manufacturers with no option but to evolve their strategies.
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- News2018 Kawasaki Z900RS launched in India at Rs 15.3 lakh
- NewsBMW Motorrad cuts motorcycle prices by 10 per cent in India
- Review2018 Ferrari Portofino first drive review
- News2018 Royal Enfield Thunderbird 500X and Thunderbird 350X to be launched in India on February 28, 2018
- NewsKia installs framework of its new manufacturing plant in Andhra Pradesh
- NewsMotoGP: Tech3 and Yamaha to part ways after 2018 season
- Review2018 Yamaha MT-09 first ride review
- NewsSkoda India to hike prices of all models
- NewsDucati launches extended warranty program in India
- News2018 F1: All the Formula 1 cars for the upcoming season launched so far