Ford unveils the 2016 Mustang in India
Ford has revealed the new Mustang in India. The iconic muscle car which gained popularity over the years among the enthusiasts for its design and performance has finally entered India with a right hand drive configuration, a first since it was first launched 1964. The official launch of the new Mustang will happen later in the year.
The new generation Ford Mustang is clearly inspired by the retro classic original which rolled off the production line in the 60s. Named after the untamed American horse which is typically small with a light built, the Mustang has been the perfect subject for posters for many a fan. The new Mustang continues to stir hearts with its sharp headlights and a slender front grille. The circular headlights placed on the extreme ends of the grille gives it a resemblance to the original model.
The Mustang sold in the international markets comes with different engine specs, however, the Indian version will be powered by the 5.0-litre V8 that makes 420PS of power and 529Nm of torque. This motor is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission.
The feature list in the Ford Mustang includes a Sync 3 infotainment system, automatic wipers, start/stop button and adaptive cruise control. In terms of safety, the Mustang comes equipped with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) that uses radar to detect a vehicle located in the driver's blind spot and alerts occupants by activating an indicator in the appropriate exterior mirror.
"Throughout its long history, the Ford Mustang has been a symbol of optimism and confidence for people all over the world," said Nigel Harris, president, Ford India. "The new Mustang is a modern interpretation of the American icon, and we are thrilled to be giving our customers in India the opportunity to experience this piece of automotive history for the first time."
Ford India will import the Mustangs as completely built units - that's bound to attract heavy import duties which will affect prices. We suspect that the prices of the new Ford Mustang will be between Rs 55 lakh and Rs 60 lakh, ex-showroom.
"The new Ford Mustang is a one-of-a-kind vehicle and is going to appeal to Indian drivers who value the style, performance, and heritage that the Mustang name brings," said Harris. "With advanced new technology, an iconic design, and world-class power, it truly sets a new standard."
More from OVERDRIVE on the new Ford Mustang
Starts Rs 71.62 Lakhs
- NewsFord Freestyle priced lower than the Figo hatch and the Aspire sedan, here's why
- NewsVolvo wants half its sales to come from electric vehicles by 2025
- NewsVW Motorsport India takes its Customer Sport programme to all three INRC categories
- News2018 Mini Countryman to launch in India on May 3
- News2018 Honda Amaze: Everything you need to know
- NewsFord Freestyle launched in India at Rs 5.09 lakh
- NewsTVS Sport Silver Alloy edition launched in India at Rs 38,961
- NewsSpec comparison: Suzuki GSX-S750 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Triumph Street Triple RS and S
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Ford Freestyle India launch
- NewsBMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018