Formula E brings motor racing back to Switzerland for the first time in over 60 years
Switzerland and motor racing - it was a relationship that was famously severed after the 1955 edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where an accident resulted in the death of 80 people. The Swiss government declared motor racing an unsafe sport, and never hosted a race again.
That's all about to change now - Zurich has made it to the calendar of the 2017-2018 season of Formula E. A street race is scheduled to take place in the all-electric series' fourth season, with the date for the event set for the 10th of June, 2018.
A file photo of Mahindra Racing's M3Electro at the 2017 Berlin ePrix
The updated calendar for the upcoming season of Formula E was published following the FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris, with Zurich being added to the list. Other new races include Santiago, Sao Paulo and Rome.
Given that the last motor racing event took place in Switzerland in 1954, at Bremgarten, the country has been absent from motorsport activity for over 60 years. However, in 2015 a law lifted restrictions on fully-electric racing, which has made it possible for Zurich to host a street race.
Speaking of Switzerland's return to motor racing, Alejandro Agag, CEO of Formula E said, "I'm thrilled that Formula E is bringing racing back to Switzerland for the first time in over 60 years. This wouldn't have been possible without the
core fundamentals of Formula E - driving the electric revolution and sustainable mobility. Following the recent law changes this race was also made possible with the instrumental support of our Swiss partner, Julius Baer. I would like to express our gratitude to their CEO, Boris Collardi, and his entire team for their
continued belief in Formula E we've again been able to break new grounds in the world of motorsport."
The full calendar for the 2017-2018 season of Formula E is below:
Round 1 Hong Kong China December 2, 2017
Round 2 Hong Kong China December 3, 2017
Round 3 Marrakesh Morocco January 13, 2018
Round 4 Santiago Chile February 3, 2018
Round 5 Mexico City Mexico March 3, 2018
Round 6 Sao Paulo Brazil March 17, 2018
Round 7 Rome Italy April 14, 2018
Round 8 Paris France April 28, 2018
Round 9 Berlin Germany May 19, 2018
Round 10 Zurich Switzerland June 10, 2018
Round 11 New York City USA July 14, 2018
Round 12 New York City USA July 15, 2018
Round 13 Montreal Canada July 28, 2018
Round 14 Montreal Canada July 29, 2018
- NewsUpcoming Maruti Suzuki Ciaz facelift to miss out on new 1.5-litre diesel at launch
- NewsBMW Motorrad India now offers 3 years, unlimited kilometres warranty as standard on all its motorcycles
- NewsMercedes-Benz launches a new mobile service initiative for Tier - 2 and Tier - 3 called 'Service on Wheels'
- NewsSuzuki Burgman Street 125cc maxi scooter to be launched in India tomorrow
- News10,000th Isuzu vehicle rolled out of its plant in SriCity
- News2018 Kawasaki Z900RS launched in a black paint option in India
- News2018 FIM Trial-E Cup: Yamaha's Kenichi Kuroyama rides TY-E electric trials bike to win in first two rounds
- NewsTriumph Street Triple RS gets two new colour options in India
- NewsFord crosses one million customer milestone in India
- NewsPrice check: BMW G 310 R vs BMW G 310 GS vs KTM 390 Duke vs KTM RC 390 vs TVS Apache RR 310 vs Kawasaki Ninja 300