Gauhati High Court revokes ban on sale of certain cars in Assam
After an injunction from the Supreme Court, the Gauhati High Court has revoked its order that banned the sale of certain cars due to safety regulation issues. The list of banned cars included the Maruti Suzuki Swift and Alto, Hyundai i10 and Eon, and even the Honda Jazz.
The latest order from the court states, "There cannot be any prohibition restricting registration and sale of four-wheelers with a mass up to 1,500kg and quadricycles that have undergone the crash test and emission test conforming to the requirement and standards set down by the Bureau of Indian Standards and in respect of such vehicles which have been certified by a statutory authority of having met the said requirements."
The latest order came after the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) filed a petition in the Supreme Court which explained that the cars sold in India have passed all the crash, safety and emission tests conducted by Automotive Research Association of India as directed under the Motor Vehicles Act.
With the north-eastern states accounting for almost 12 per cent of car sales in the country, this should be a big relief to the automotive manufacturers who have been trying to boost their sales in an already slow automotive market.
Starts Rs 7.45 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.5 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
- NewsConfirmed: 2020 Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in India on August 11
- News2020 Toyota Urban Cruiser compact SUV teased ahead of festive season debut
- NewsJuly 2020 sales: Honda 2Wheeler sold 3.09 lakh two-wheelers in India
- NewsBMW 320d Sport relaunched in India, priced at Rs 42.10 lakh
- NewsSkoda Auto appoints Thomas Schafer as new chairman