General Motors signs a three-year wage agreement with the employees union at their Talegaon plant
GM India has signed a new three-year wage agreement with the General Motors Employees Union at their Talegaon manufacturing plant near Pune in Maharashtra. According to the new agreement, the employees at the Talegaon plant will receive an increase in wages between 40 to 50 per cent over the period of three years, starting April 01, 2017.
This comes just a few days after GM had announced that production at their Halol plant in Gujarat would be stopped. The Halol plant will be shut down on April 28, 2017 and GM has given the employees at Halol a choice to either take up voluntary retirement or be transferred to the Talegaon plant. According to the new agreement, the increase in wages will be implemented in an 80:10:10 ratio over the next few years with the largest increase happening in the first tranche, exactly when GM India plans to begin production of all its Indian models at the Talegaon plant.
The Talegaon plant has been functional since September 2008 and has an annual production capacity of 1,30,000 units. It currently produces the Chevrolet Beat for domestic as well export markets, and also manufactures engines with an annual capacity of 1,60,000 units. Around 1,400 employees (who are part of the union) at this plant will benefit from the wage hike. According to the vice president of human resources at GM India, Pritpal S Kular, the signing of the wage agreement is an important step in the plan to consolidate GM India's manufacturing at the Talegaon plant.
Starts Rs 4.32 Lakhs
- News2018 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado facelift launched in India at Rs 92.6 lakh
- News2018 Jeep Compass Trailhawk SUV bookings open across India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki Desert Storm: A look back
- News2018 Ford EcoSport Titanium+ petrol with 5-speed manual option launched in India for Rs 10.47 lakh
- News2018 Yamaha Ray-ZR launched with four new colours in India at Rs 53,451
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 reach Australia for display, India launch later in 2018
- NewsMahindra Adventure season 8 calendar for 2018 announced
- News2018 Mahindra XUV500 facelift to be launched in April
- News2018 Honda CB Shine SP, Livo, and Dream Yuga commuter motorcycles launched in India
- News2018 Honda CBR250R launched in India at Rs 1.63 lakh