Global NCAP crash test: Chevrolet Enjoy scores zero stars, Ford Figo Aspire scores three
Global NCAP, a UK-based body governing safety standards of automobiles, recently crash tested a variant of the Chevrolet Enjoy that doesn't offer airbags. The results were quite terrible with the car scoring a zero-star rating for adult occupancy. Apart from the bodyshell integrity being deemed unstable, the car also offers poor protection to the driver's head and chest. Protection for the front passenger's head was weak too, while chest protection was "adequate". However, the knees would sustain a lot of damage due to collision with the dashboard. Child occupancy got a two-star rating, but the child seat wasn't able to prevent excessive forward movement.
What's worth noting is that if they had tested the variant of the Chevrolet Enjoy that offers airbags, the rating would have been significantly better. This can be seen from the results of the Ford Figo Aspire, which the Global NCAP tested earlier this year. The Figo Aspire that was tested was again not the top-spec variant and didn't get ABS. However, Ford does offer dual airbags as a standard feature on the Figo Aspire. As a result, protection for the driver's head and neck was good, giving it a three-star rating. However, chest protection was weak while passenger protection was "marginal".
According to David Ward, the secretary general of Global NCAP, the basic safety levels are achievable if essential features like airbags are offered as standard. With regard to the Enjoy, he said, "There is nothing to enjoy about a zero-star safety score, and GM should be embarrassed that they are selling cars with such inadequate levels of occupant protection to Indian consumers."
Starts Rs 4.99 Lakhs
Starts Rs 5.49 Lakhs
Starts Rs 4.82 Lakhs
Team OD | 19 Feb 2018
- Features2016 Yamaha YZF-R3 long term review: After 12,572km and two years
- NewsPorsche discontinues diesel, to focus on EVs and hybrids
- News721PS/770Nm Ferrari 488 Pista comes with the most powerful V8 built by the company
- NewsTriumph Bonneville Speedmaster to launch in India on February 27, 2018
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Mahindra KUV100 Adventure Edition image gallery
- NewsGeneva Motor Show: Tata 45X based sedan teased
- NewsAuto Expo 2018: Hyundai Elite i20 facelift image gallery
- NewsImage gallery: Yamaha Motoroid concept
- NewsImage gallery: Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade
- NewsWRC 2018: Hyundai's Thierry Neuville victorious at Rally Sweden