Google, Fiat Chrysler team up to build self-driving minivans
Google and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) have announced that they will be working together to develop about 100 autonomous 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans. The two companies have stated that their engineers will work together to incorporate the autonomous driving technology in the minivan.
In an official statement, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has commented that "this is the first time Google is working directly with an automaker to integrate its self-driving system, including sensors and software, into a passenger vehicle." FCA has also stated that that the autonomous Chrysler Pacifica will be first tested by Google on its test track in California before being operated on public roads.
FCA will make around 100 vehicles that can accommodate Google's autonomous technology, while Google will be responsible for incorporating them with various sensors and computers that will give them the capability to self-navigate. Both the companies will relocate some of their engineers to a Michigan plant where the autonomous 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid will be designed, manufactured and tested.
"FCA has a nimble and experienced engineering team and the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan is well-suited for Google's self-driving technology," said John Krafcik, Chief Executive Officer, Google Self-Driving Car Project. "The opportunity to work closely with FCA engineers will accelerate our efforts to develop a fully self-driving car that will make our roads safer and bring everyday destinations within reach for those who cannot drive."
- News2019 Hyundai Grand i10 Nios hatchback launched in India at Rs 4.99 lakh
- NewsHero Optima and Hero Nyx electric scooters get a longer-range variant in India
- NewsMaruti Suzuki XL6 premium MPV spotted ahead of its India launch
- NewsLive updates: Hyundai Grand i10 Nios India launch, prices, details, variants, features, engines
- NewsIndian FTR 1200 S and 1200 S Race Replica launched - Priced Rs 15.99 lakh and 17.99 lakh respectively