Greaves Cotton develops new quadricycle engine
Farm equipment and engine manufacturing major Greaves Cotton is reported to have developed an engine for quadricycles.
The new 265 cc quadricycle petrol engine is developed on a new platform and could be adapted to run on compressed natural gas (CNG). Greaves Cotton, country's leading three-wheeler engine manufacturer, says that it has developed the engine to help the OEMs enter into the emerging quadricycle segment.
"We have announced to our list of customers that a new quadricycle engine is ready with the company. There are multiple companies which are exploring an entry into the segment. If they decide to go ahead we are ready with the solution." said Sunil Pahilajani, MD and CEO of Greaves Cotton.
The government of India has recently given a nod for quadricycles to be run as commercial vehicles. The four-wheeled small vehicle is expected to be utilised as an upgrade by current three-wheeler owners. The four-wheeled quadricycle offers more safety than the conventional three-wheelers.
At the last AutoExpo in New Delhi, Bajaj Auto has showcased its RE60 quadricycle. The proposal of legalising quadricycles to ply on public roads had received strong opposition from some automobile manufacturers such as Tata Motors, while Piaggio, Mahindra & Mahindra have shown an interest to enter the space.
- NewsDelhi government announces EV policy, up to Rs 1.5 lakh subisidy for electric passenger vehicles
- NewsToyota Fortuner TRD Limited Edition launched in India, prices start from Rs 34.98 lakh
- NewsUpcoming new-gen Mahindra Thar SUV spied: Everything we know so far
- NewsKia Sonet powertrain details, including segment-first six-speed diesel automatic
- News2020 Kia Sonet SUV: Top 10 feature highlights