Guy Martin wont be at the IOMTT 2016
Here's sad news for everyone who has been waiting to see the crazy lorry mechanic going hell for leather down the famed mountain course. Guy Martin has just announced that he will not be taking part at this year's Isle of Man TT. Plenty of folk have been asking what I'm up to this year. He says that after 11 years of racing at the TT, this year he wishes to miss the races and instead focus his energies on the Tour Divide, a bicycle race that takes solo riders across the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route that stretches for over 4400km.
However, Guy did say that he will still be attempting the Wall of Death record and will also pilot the Triumph Rocket III Streamliner for a land speed record at Bonneville this year.
Here is the official statement that Guy posted on his Facebook page a couple of days ago:
"I fancy a change of scenery. I've been racing the TT for 11 years. All I've really done since I was 18, except the trucks, is race motorbikes and my brain needs something else. Every year's the same: testing, racing, then start again. It brought it home to me when I was lying in hospital after the Ulster Grand Prix crash. I've been on about the Tour Divide, the toughest pushbike race in the world, for three years and I thought I'll blink and next thing I'll be 45, so I'm going to do it this year. I like breaking myself mentally and the Tour Divide will be tough, but it's same time at TT, so that's forced me to make a choice.
PACEMAKER BELFAST 04/06/11: TAS Relentless rider Guy Martin laughs with his crew before the opening Superbike race of the 2011 Isle of Man TT
I'm not done with motorbikes. I'm attempting the Wall of Death record in the spring and having a go at the land speed record in the summer and if I do race on the roads it will be with TAS.
After the Tour Divide I might never want to see a pushbike again - or never want to go road racing again, I don't know. But I do know Bruce Anstey and John McGuinness are still racing the TT, and they've got a few years on me, so maybe I'll come back next year. Or maybe I'll find something else interesting to do. I've got more interests than just motorbikes and I just think let's bloody have 'em.
Thanks very much as ever for the support.
Starts Rs 21,91,700
- OpinionNatural selection
- FeaturesThe Brembo 19RCS Costa Corsa explained
- News2018 Merzouga Rally: Sherco TVS rider Joan Pedrero Garcia finishes seventh overall
- NewsBosch develops an automated valet parking system with e. Go
- NewsSMEV signs an MoU with TAITRA to develop EV development infrastructure
- NewsToyota wants privacy concerns addressed before it adds Android Auto
- OpinionWe make modern cars, so why not tanks?
- NewsUpcoming Lexus ES facelift teased in video ahead of Beijing Auto Show launch
- NewsHonda unveils Small RS Concept in Indonesia, preview to next Brio
- NewsDucati to offer radar, cornering ABS but not missiles on its motorcycle range