Hankook reveals fifth prototype of its iFlex airless tyre
Korean tyre maker Hankook revealed the fifth prototype of their non-pneumatic tyre called the iFlex. The prototype is said to have successfully completed testing the ride, handling, and high-speed driving capabilities.
So far, only Michelin and Polaris have brought out their airless tyres for the commercial market. The Michelin Tweel is available on commercial vehicles such as skid loaders and large lawn mowers, while Polaris is offering them on their heavy duty ATV called the Sportsman WV850 H.O. Terrain Armour. Michelin developed the Tweel indigenously while Polaris developed its version after their defense division acquired Resilient Technologies, a company that specialises in the development of non-pneumatic tyres.
The Polaris Sportsman WV850 H.O. Terrain Armour with airless tyres
Hankook however aims to make this technology available to the passenger car market. The biggest change for this prototype is their manufacturing process. They've adopted a more environmentally friendly material that cuts down the manufacturing steps and so saves time, energy and money.
A skid loader using Michelin Tweels
Team OD | 12 Feb 2019
Team OD | 14 Feb 2019
- NewsSpec Comparo: Benelli TRK 502X vs Kawasaki Versys X 300 vs SWM SuperDual T
- News2019 Bajaj Avenger Cruise 220 ABS spied, priced Rs 1.26 lakh on-road Mumbai
- NewsConfirmed: Benelli to launch Leoncino 500, Imperiale 400 and 502C motorcycles in India this year
- NewsRenault Kwid EV production version spotted testing for the first time
- News2019 Geneva Motor Show: Audi Q4 e-tron concept sketches unveiled
- The Forum Art Gallery Residency
- The Hindu Photojournalism Awards
- Book Review: The Red Cat and Other Stories | Ritesh Uttamchandani