Harley-Davidson India launches the 1200 Custom in India at Rs 8.9 lakh
We'd guessed it earlier and now it's been confirmed. Harley-Davidson has launched the 1200 Custom in India today. The price is Rs 8.9 lakh ex-showroom Delhi. That's approximately Rs 22,000 less than the Forty-Eight. The 1200 Custom is part of the Sportster family. Harley-Davidson had earlier stopped selling the SuperLow and the 1200 Custom brings the Sportster count back to three - the Iron 883, the Forty-Eight.
The 1200 Custom is going to be assembled at Harley-Davidson India's plant in Bawal Haryana. Harley-Davidson currently produces one motorcycle, the Street 750 while assembling eight of its thirteen models in the India range. The fuel injected engine produces 96Nm at 3,500rpm and it works through a five-speed gearbox. The 1200 Custom, despite its 266kg kerb weight, is said to be a light and agile member of the Sporster family.
The 1200 Custom also changes the nature and position of the Sportster family. By removing the Rs 6.5 lakh SuperLow, Harley India has widened the gap between the Street 750 and the Sportster range. Earlier the gap was Rs 2 lakh but now the base Sporster is the Iron 883 at Rs 7.37 lakh. A bigger gap and a better 2016 model of the Street 750 should allow Harley to sell more Street 750s while allowing Sporster customers to enjoy a greater distinction.
Watch out for a first ride story tomorrow.
Image by Shubhabrata Marmar
More from OVERDRIVE on the latest unveils of Harley-Davidson
Starts Rs 10,65,000
Starts Rs 24,99,000
- News2018 Mini Countryman to launch in India on May 3
- News2018 Honda Amaze: Everything you need to know
- NewsFord Freestyle launched in India at Rs 5.09 lakh
- NewsTVS Sport Silver Alloy edition launched in India at Rs 38,961
- NewsSpec comparison: Suzuki GSX-S750 vs Kawasaki Z900 vs Triumph Street Triple RS and S
- NewsLive updates: 2018 Ford Freestyle India launch
- NewsBMW iX3 concept all-electric crossover debuts at Auto China 2018
- NewsVolvo XC40 based Geely Concept Icon unveiled at Auto China 2018
- NewsRoyal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 spied in new two-tone paint options
- News2018 Ducati Monster 821 to be launched in India on May 1, 2018