Harley-Davidson India launches the 1200 Custom in India at Rs 8.9 lakh
We'd guessed it earlier and now it's been confirmed. Harley-Davidson has launched the 1200 Custom in India today. The price is Rs 8.9 lakh ex-showroom Delhi. That's approximately Rs 22,000 less than the Forty-Eight. The 1200 Custom is part of the Sportster family. Harley-Davidson had earlier stopped selling the SuperLow and the 1200 Custom brings the Sportster count back to three - the Iron 883, the Forty-Eight.
The 1200 Custom is going to be assembled at Harley-Davidson India's plant in Bawal Haryana. Harley-Davidson currently produces one motorcycle, the Street 750 while assembling eight of its thirteen models in the India range. The fuel injected engine produces 96Nm at 3,500rpm and it works through a five-speed gearbox. The 1200 Custom, despite its 266kg kerb weight, is said to be a light and agile member of the Sporster family.
The 1200 Custom also changes the nature and position of the Sportster family. By removing the Rs 6.5 lakh SuperLow, Harley India has widened the gap between the Street 750 and the Sportster range. Earlier the gap was Rs 2 lakh but now the base Sporster is the Iron 883 at Rs 7.37 lakh. A bigger gap and a better 2016 model of the Street 750 should allow Harley to sell more Street 750s while allowing Sporster customers to enjoy a greater distinction.
Watch out for a first ride story tomorrow.
Image by Shubhabrata Marmar
More from OVERDRIVE on the latest unveils of Harley-Davidson
Starts Rs 10,75,000
Starts Rs 24,99,000
- NewsThe 510PS Aston Martin Vantage has been launched in India at Rs 2.95 crore
- FeaturesOD Mercedes-Benz 24-hours Performance Run: Scale of C
- News2018 Ducati 959 Panigale Corse launched in India at Rs 15.2 lakh
- NewsMV Agusta and Pirelli Design unveil the limited edition Dragster 800 RR Pirelli
- NewsRetro-themed Peugeot e-Legend concept EV breaks cover
- OpinionOn the joys and hardships of motorsport writing...
- Review2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 first ride review
- News2018 Ford Aspire facelift bookings open in India ahead of launch
- NewsMotoGP 2018: Marc Marquez claims Aragon GP victory
- NewsTVS StaR City+ launched in new grey-black paint option at Rs 52,907