Harley-Davidson India offers flat track racing experience for enthusiasts
With the aim bringing a part of its racing history and popularising one of the oldest forms of motorcycle racing in India, Harley-Davidson India has introduced a flat track racing experience for motorcycle enthusiasts in the country. Harley-Davidson India debuted the Flat Track experience at the John Singh Speedway in Shahpura, near Jaipur, Rajasthan last weekend. The weekend consisted of a two-day masterclass and training session led by flat track racing legend and master of Di Traverso school in Italy, Marco Belli. The select group present at the session learnt tips and tricks from Belli, while being trained in techniques of handling a flat track motorcycle. On the first day of the event, participants were introduced to flat track racing, while races were held among participants on the second day.
Harley-Davidson India has also had four purpose-built flat track racing motorcycles made from its Street Rod models by Vijay Singh Ajairajpuria of Rajputana Customs. The motorcycles feature modified handlebars, seat units, fuel tank, exhaust, wheels and tyres. Note that these motorcycles have no front brakes, as using front brakes in the middle of a deliberate slide can be dangerous.
Marco Belli instructs participants at the Flat Track Experience
Flat track racing has its roots in the early 1900s and it gained popularity during the 1920s Unlike motocross or road races where the riders are spread out over a large area, flat tracks are small and oval-shaped.Harley-Davidson enjoyed a strong dominance on the dirt track starting with Joe Petrali in the 1930s. Harley-Davidson India and China MD Peter MacKenzie said that the company aims to garner more acceptance for the sport here and encourage the setting-up of amateur flat tracks in the country.
- News2018 INMRC: Jagan Kumar widens lead in the Super Sport category
- NewsLive updates: Vazirani Shul electric hypercar showcased in India
- NewsMaserati Ghibli Ribelle is an all-black limited edition offering for the EMEA markets
- News2018 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 twin and Interceptor 650 twin prices out!
- NewsIsuzu D-Max V-Cross facelift spotted testing in India
- NewsTriumph India to launch six new motorcycles by June 2019
- NewsSkoda Kodiaq RS interiors revealed ahead of Paris Motor Show debut
- NewsLive Updates: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 global launch
- NewsTriumph India to launch Scrambler 1200 in January 2019, 5 other launches by June
- News2018 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650: The four things you wanted to know