Hero unveils the Leap: India's first hybrid scooter ready for production
Hero MotoCorp has unveiled the first hybrid scooter from India, the Leap. The Leap was first unveiled in a concept stage at the 2012 Auto Expo, but then it seemed a long way from being anywhere close to production.
The Leap prototype showcased at today's event, however, is a production-ready model powered by lithium-ion batteries and an 8kW electric traction motor connected to an all-new 124cc engine.
The PMAC motor generates a maximum torque of over 60Nm from a standstill with a top speed of 100kmph when running on the range extender petrol engine. The Leap hybrid scooter gets a 3-liter fuel tank.
In addition, the Leap gets an all-LED lighting system, and gets powerful 240 mm Brembo two-piston front disc brake.
The other two are the Hero Xtreme and Hero Dash scooter. Read the full event report here.
When Hero MotoCorp, the world's largest motorcycle manufacturer, unveiled as many as 15 updates in November, we thought it would take a lot for anyone to catch up. Hero has not only matched the November 2013 blitzkrieg, it has gone leaps ahead with the five new unveils. Expect these products to be showcased at the 2014 Auto Expo. BUt that's not all. Signing off on Wednesday, Hero MotoCorp promised to continue the tradition at the Expo. So stay tuned.
- NewsAll-electric 2,000PS Lotus Evija hypercar details revealed, takes on Pininfarina Battista and Rimac C_Two
- NewsSuzuki Gixxer SF Moto GP edition launched for the price of Rs 1.1 lakh
- NewsHero Xtreme 200R street-naked motorcycle gets another price hike - will cost Rs 91,900
- NewsHero Xtreme 200S fully-faired motorcycle gets a price hike in India
- NewsKia Seltos SUV garners over 6000 bookings on the first day - launch on August 22