Honda City completes 20 years in India
Honda City created quite a revolution when it was launched in India in 1998. It won't be exaggerating to claim that the Honda City was the only premium sedan in its segment. The Japanese car manufacturer is celebrating 20 years of the City sedan in India. Honda states that India is the largest and the most important market for the City as the country accounts to over 25 percent of its worldwide sales.
The Honda City was primarily developed as an Asian model that later on entered 60 countries and registered a cumulative sales of 3.6mn units globally. Honda Cars started with 12 dealers that were present in 11 cities in 1998. These numbers have now risen to 349 outlets that have been spread across 234 cities. Even the supplier network has gone up from 57 in 1998 to 221 in 2017. Here is a timeline of the Honda City's journey in the country.
Honda City launched in India, becomes the first Honda model to be sold in India. Was available with two engine options, 1.3L and 1.5L petrol engines
Honda City gets the popular VTEC engine
Honda City Zx from the 2008 batch
Second generation of Honda City launched in India. Came with a 1.5L i-DSI petrol engine and was also offered with a CVT unit, that was the first on an Indian car
Honda City ZX launched with tweaked design and an updated 1.5L VTEC engine.
Honda launches 10th anniversary edition of the City with ABS
Third generation Honda City launched in India with a 1.5L i-VTEC engine. The sedan came equipped with ABS and airbags as standard
Honda City wins the ICOTY 2009
Honda City gets an updated interior with touchscreen infotainment system and also gets a CNG variant.
World premiere of the fourth generation Honda City in India
This year was important as Honda City finally received a 1.5L i-Dtec engine along with the 1.5L i-Vtec engine. Honda also updated the CVT unit in the City to make it more efficient than the manual transmission variant.
ISOFIX introduced in the Honda City sedan
The Honda City boasts a lower, sporty stance
Honda launched the revised fourth generation City with all-LED lights. Achieves a cumulative sales of 7 lakh units in India.
Starts Rs 8.58 Lakhs
- NewsWorld Ducati Week: Bayliss, Lorenzo, Dovizioso to battle it out in Race of Champions
- News2018 BMW 6 Series GT diesel launched in India at Rs 66.50 lakh
- News2018 Mahindra TUV300 Plus variants explained
- Features2018 TVS Apache RTR 160 4V longterm review: Introduction
- News2019 Hyundai Elantra facelift spotted testing again in South Korea
- ReviewMercedes-AMG C 43 4Matic Cabriolet first drive review
- ReviewMercedes-Benz 2018 C 200 first drive review
- NewsVolvo S60 sedan unveiled internationally, to rival Mercedes C-Class
- NewsGaurav Gill's 2017 Team MRF Skoda Fabia R5 immortalized in scale model form
- NewsKTM RC200 now available with a black colour option