Honda City pips the Hyundai Verna to be the best selling C-segment sedan in India
Honda Cars India Limited has sold 7,184 units of the Honda City in January and 7,213 units in February. At the same time, Hyundai managed to sell 3,803 units of Verna in January and around the same number in February. The upward trend is expected to continue on the back of strong demand for the diesel City and also with the production of the petrol variant starting just late last month.
Hyundai Verna Fluidic has long been the bestselling sedan in the competitive C-segment, primarily because of a new design and a wide range of variants. The Honda City on the other hand was lagging behind for the want of a diesel engine in its lineup. With the introduction of the Earth Dreams 1.5litre i-D-tec diesel in the City the car has managed to outsell the Verna in the months of January and February, and by a huge margin.
The Verna still has the better engine range with four options compared to the City's two engine offerings and Hyundai in an effort to counter the City had also launched a CX variant with more features but that too failed to bring in the numbers due to the Japanese manufacturer's strong image and the City's competitive pricing.
Honda City diesel
In a bid to reclaim the top spot, Hyundai has offered meaty discounts and immediate deliveries to customer coupled with a strong marketing campaign for the Verna.
Read our comparison between the Honda City diesel and Hyundai Verna diesel here
Starts Rs 9.91 Lakhs
Starts Rs 9.31 Lakhs
- Review2020 Bajaj Dominar 250 road test review
- NewsVideo Worth Watching: Honda Civic Type-R Limited Edition sets Suzuka FWD lap record
- NewsMaserati Ghibli hybrid to be revealed on July 16
- FeaturesBMW #JustCantWait To Bring Driving Pleasure Back To Our Lives
- NewsBMW iX3 EV SUV teased ahead of July 14 reveal
- Digitising Text
- Abstract | Winners and Honourable Mentions
- BP Tip of the Day: Getting Out of a Creative Block